• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need a ram genious

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
seriously..... ive stumped the over clockers?.....all i want is my dual channel ram to register as dual channel and ill be happy....i dont have time to goto college to learn this stuff so i was thinking the largest group of computer performance experts on the web would be able to help but it seems it cant be done. kinda discouraging, guess its time to call the geek squad

Have to say that that was very rude.

Have to say that that was very rude.

While it may have come off that way, I can understand the OP's frustration. Like I had said in an earlier post, it was posted on one of the slower nights for the forums, and not all of the members click the "View New Posts" link. A lot of people tend to go to certain sections of the forums, and that is where they spend most of their time.

IMO, calling a member out like that was just as rude.

Must be an AMD thing. I work with Intel chipsets, and always get better performance out of dual channel.:shrug:

Even my old FX60 with dual channel pc3500 sticks ran much better in dual channel as well. Its this new ganged/unganged technology that reverses it aparently. :confused: And thanks to this thread by the OP I finally figured out the differences myself lol. :p (I always thought that unganged was dual channel)

Last edited:
Uhm... actually ganged and unganged have to do with the way that your memory is allocated to each core of your processor.
Ganged mode = All of your memory is available to all the cores of your CPU and therefore your memory is treated as one giant piece of memory.
Unganged mode = Your memory is 'split up' into chunks that allows each core it's own piece that it allocates to.

Most people see a performance boost with unganged, but it's actual purpose was designed to work better with multitasking as a more parallel system to multi core processors. Ganged mode is basically how it was done before multi core systems, when the memory was allocated by only one source. I don't think it has anything to do with how many channels you are running. I have unganged mode and dual channel in my rig. If you set the ganged mode, and your BIOS for some reason thinks that ganged mode and dual channel will not be compatible, it will choose one or the other as a sort of safe guard. You most likely have settings wrong in your BIOS, or your DIMMs are in the wrong sockets in order to operate in dual channel.

Btw, if you want dual channel, you need to put a DIMM in 2 different channels, not both in the same channel.

So basically, Ganged DOES NOT = single channel, and Ganged is 'old tech'... unganged is what you really want. Is there a specific reason why you wanted Ganged mode (I can understand the misconception, I originally thought it meant dual channel when I first started)?

Ganaged mode treats the memory as a 128bit interface instead of 2 64bit interfaces, so theoretically it can improve performance. Synthetic benchmarks or specific server applications is the only time you will see this though.

dual channel unganged mode is best. (actually I always get the ganged/unganged confused, because most motherboards do not offer "ganged or unganged option"

Many like my foxconn have an option labelled

"Disable unganged mode" enable or disable.

IT can be quite confusing :S

Back