• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help on a few things to finish my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simjracer

Hi im new to all this so sorry if it i posted this in the wrong place and new to building and upgrading so i need help on upgrading 5 things.

this is what i got so far

CPU : AMD SEMPRON 140 2.7GHz AM3 want to upgrade to a fx bulldozer
MB : ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX
HHD : SEAGATE 300GB INTERNAL SATA II 7200RPM (want to upgrade to a better/faster and bigger one in time)
RAM : Kingston 4GB DDR3 Memory Module 1066MHz going to upgrade to a Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) Memory Kit 1600MHz DDR3
PSU : unknow 500watts (it came with the case with no GPU 6 pin)
case: Envizage 735 Miditower (found on ebay)
GPU : on MB but want to upgrade to a Radeon HD 6870 XFX
ROM: LiteOn IHAS124-19B 24X DVD±RW Writer ( X2 )

I would like some help in these areas please
which bulldozer is the better one ?
Is the GPU good for today gaming and could i run 3 monitors with this on one card (amd eyefinity)
A good CPU cooler ?
A better HHD ? ( will upgrade next month or so)
The last and the main one is what PSU do i need to power all this ?

i would like this to last for some years has it is for my kids to use when they visit me
I mainly will use it to play games, facebook games, downloading and to watch films

Any help or advice would be great and i got about £350 for the CPU + cooler, GPU, PSU, RAM
Thanks for any help
simon

As far as the GPU goes, the 6870 should easily be able to run any game currently on the market. I'm running a 5770, and I can run most games on full settings. The beginning number is the generation, and only makes a little difference, whereas the second number is far more important. For example, a 5970, to my knowledge, is a better card than a 6870. But a 5870 is only slightly worse than a 6870. When you get as far as 4970 vs 6870, the 6870 has it, but not by an amazing amount. An 870 starting with either 5 or 6 should be able to run any game on the market at full settings. The 5970, and the 6970 can both easily play them on full settings as well.

Now to the CPU cooler. You could try watercooling, though I wouldn't really suggest it for someone starting out building computers. They're not TERRIBLY difficult, but they do require a decent amount of experience with computers.
For air cooling, large fans tend to be helpful if you have the space (though, this is by no means always the case. You ALWAYS need to look at reviews.) Just something to make searching for a CPU cooler fairly quick.

Examples of good CPU air coolers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
This cooler is VERY large though. It may not fit in your case. Look into it before you choose this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118075
This is also a pretty big fan. This will fit into more cases than the NH-D14, but it also has trouble with fitting. Once again, look into it.

Thats all I have enough knowledge on to comment. Good luck with the build!

The GPU model numbers on the Radeon side works mostly like dark said with a slight twist. With the transition between the 6000 series and the 7000 series, AMD switched up some of the model numbers. The 6770 is the exact same card as the 5770, rereleased. They then bumped the model number of everything above it up by 100. So the 6970 actually replaces the 5870, 6950 and 5850, and so on. The 6990 is the replacement for the 5970, as they're both dual-GPU cards (5970=5850x2 and 6990=6950x2). The 7000 series uses the same namescheme as the 6000 series. The 5970 (dual GPU) and 5870 (high end) are both significantly more powerful than the 6870 (midrange). The 4970 doesn't exist, the most powerful cards in that generation was the 4890 and 4870x2.

His advice is sound though, the 870 card (high mid-end) is usually one of the best price/performance cards in a given generation.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize the 4000 series only went up to 48XX :eek:

Thank you for correcting me.

Also, any objections to the fans I put up? Any other fan suggestions for sim?
Any other hardware suggestions?

Back