• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments on this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did not forget. But a couple things came up that stopped me from replying sooner.

The adapter for the AIO cane in and fit great. It could probably provide better cooling, but it seems adequate for now. When I load the processor, it ramps up to 95°C in a few seconds. When I stop the stress testing, it drops just as rapidly. The idle temperature is mid 30s. I checked the radiator fans with a laser tach and at idle one is 1800RPM and the other about 850RPM. Under stress testing they're both at 1800RPM which is there rated maximum speed (Corsair H110 AIO.) I did some research and hitting 95°C under load is typical for these processors. Idle power is about 80W and I've not seen it go over 146W (and have not run any benchmarks that involve the GPU.)

CPU performance is great. It's a nice snappy system and both CPU focused and RAM focused benchmarks are about double the previous (I7-4770K) based system.

The real surprise is the bump in disk performance. Both systems ran off the same NVME SSD. In the original (ASRock Z87 Extreme4 mobo) it booted from an add in card in a PCIe 3.0 slot. The SSD is also Gen3 so I didn't expect much improvement. Perhaps the ASRock wasn't well designed for storage. Perhaps the I7-4770K couldn't keep up with NVME. (I'm using the ZFS filesystem which has significant overhead.)

1697938944702.jpeg

Here's my new baby. Oh my! The camera sure captures the dust! This is the Coolermaster HAF-XB Evo case. I really like it. It does a great job hiding the messy cabling under the motherboard tray. At present I'm using all 6 SATA ports (though one is just dangling in the left rear for "future expansion.)" The only thing it's missing is a built in USB-C port so I have to settle for one in the bulkhead connectors.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help along the way. When I moved off the ECC RAM I probably should have done a broader search, but I don't think I would have done any better.

Edit: Forgot to mention that under heavy load (s-tui/stress-ng) it settles at about 5.2GHZ on all cores which seems correct. It can hit 5.5GHz with fewer cores loaded.

Last edited:
Nice. Long boot times are typical with AM5/DDR5 systems. My 3900X with 240mm AIO always went over 90° C under max load, and like yours, dropped under 40° C at idle. Overclocking it made too much heat and noise, so I ran it under PBO. I used a Corsair H110 AIO with my early 1700X/B350 system and an older Intel i7-8700K/Z370 setup.

Corsair-H100i.pg.jpg

Back