• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need Serious Help: Stability Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatUSA

Hi all,

I want to overclock my Intel Q9400 CPU for the first time, but I'm worried about instability.

I remember when I overclocked my old AMD 3000+ CPU on Windows XP that some apps became unstable like Warcraft 3.

Will this also happen if I overclock my Intel Q9400 CPU or has Windows 10 fixed this?

Thank you!!!

Instability is caused by either improper settings, poor thermal management, or gear that is less than ideal for overclocking. We need way more information about your rig do determine if it's even possible. Please list your system specs to help us determine if you can OC and what is a reasonable expectation based on your gear and the silicon lottery.

Last edited:
Instability is not really in the os, but in the hardware and settings as blaylock said.

Create a signature with your barhardware list please.

As far as overclocking, we have a guide right here in the intel section for it. The c2d/c2q guide.

Edit: you also had a massive thread about this same cpu overheating... was that resolved or...........?????
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ERGENCY-Is-My-Q9400-Overheating-What-Can-I-Do

Edit2: that thread, weve already overclocked... where are yoy ztuck now? You have the guide, you tried..... and created another thread????

My CPU is an Intel Q9400 released in 2009, but I bought it brand new in 2012 and I've only been using it from 2015 or so.

When I said "instability" when I overclocked my Athlon 3000+, I meant that my Warcraft 3 game would disconnect from other players during multiplayer games. As soon as I set the Athlon 3000+ CPU back to the stock speed I had no problems with Warcraft 3.

Outside of Warcraft 3 I don't remember having any instability issues so it may have only been a problem with Warcraft 3.

Instability is caused by either improper settings, poor thermal management, or gear that is less than ideal for overclocking. We need way more information about your rig do determine if it's even possible. Please list your system specs to help us determine if you can OC and what is a reasonable expectation based on your gear and the silicon lottery.

Instability is not really in the os, but in the hardware and settings as blaylock said.

Create a signature with your barhardware list please.

As far as overclocking, we have a guide right here in the intel section for it. The c2d/c2q guide.

Edit: you also had a massive thread about this same cpu overheating... was that resolved or...........?????
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ERGENCY-Is-My-Q9400-Overheating-What-Can-I-Do

Edit2: that thread, weve already overclocked... where are yoy ztuck now? You have the guide, you tried..... and created another thread????

Its just easier to close this dupe and handle everything in the other thread where it was already discussed at length.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back