• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I oc’ed my modem!! Look!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
What do you guys make of this?? My 56k has never connected at that speed before. It’s not even possible, is it?? But ya want to know what’s really weird? Everything is loading much faster than normal. I like it. :D :D

Well, that didn’t last long. Today I’m connected at 19.2Kbps. Grrr

Windows was messing things up. That speed is impossible over phone lines due to laws, and physics. Phone lines cannot physically carry more than 56KBps on a single line. This would be a 7KB/s up/down speed. By law, at least in the US, 53KBps is the maxiumum allowed to be transferred with analog signals over phone lines.

Also your chances of even reaching 53K is rare. When you consider the age of the phone lines in your house, between your house and your ISP. And also the ping rate between you and another user. I believe the most i ever got on dialup was 5.2KB/s or 41.6K, But now i'm downloading at 5500K so no worries here:D

actually, each line is rated at 64Kbs,(A T1 is 24 64K lines) but with overhead we are limited to 56Kb, and limited by law to 53Kb...

Hehe, on my 1.5mb DSL line it shows 2.8mb. (I wish!!) It changes depending on how I connect. If I go through IE first, then connect, it show the correct speed, 1.5mb. If I just connect through the modem shortcut, then open IE, I get the 2.8mb message.

cluster, ur wrong. Phone lines can go as much as almost 200KB/sec if not more. DSL uses phone lines. Its the way that 56 modems send the packets that makes it not be able to go past what ur doing righ now.

I think I need to clarify this for you guys... It's (bits) and not bytes that the Windows screen is showing...

Regards

Teken

A single bit can hold only one of two values: 0 or 1. More meaningful information is obtained by combining consecutive bits into larger units. For example, a byte is composed of 8 consecutive bits.

engjohn said:
actually, each line is rated at 64Kbs,(A T1 is 24 64K lines) but with overhead we are limited to 56Kb, and limited by law to 53Kb...

Yup, the overhead engjohn is talking about is used for "signaling" the part that is used to tell the CO's Switch what phone number is being dialed, and when to open or close a connection. They use 8Kbps for this (although they really don't need all of this and there are ways around this too) but this is only in a digital world under the 20 khz band range (dsl is above 20 khz).

When using a V.90 or higher connection, you are taking a service ment to be used for analog and forcing it to digital. Analog lines level of quality is much less then digital so that is when you call your local phone company and tell them your lines "stink", they will just ask you if your talking on it now. If you reply yes then they will say that your lines are fine.

Back