• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really find Linux useless for most things

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, just for the record, I'd like to hear exactly why...what is the reason for Windows users posting here and trying(in vein, I might add) to insist that Windows is better because of....what....because billions of people use it? And, please tell me why I should care?

Do Windows users feel like they gotta prove something? If so, what would that be?

Feel free to use your computers as you choose, makes no difference to me.

Windows is not better but MS has plenty of money to keep software off of Linux.

I think big Linux OS companies such as Canonical and RedHat ought to actively target companies to make Linux versions of their software. I'd imagine a non-trivial amount of users will switch if Auto Desk or Solid works had Linux versions.

I'm posting this from Windows XP Pro. With 6.47% desktop market share XP is "entitled" to over twice the third party support of Linux's many distros. Combined. I don't know how else to say it. Unless I edit the post with my W7 rig and bump the total to 53.1%.

edit: Like this.

How about updating the entire OS at any time including all the software, all of it including a thousand more choices you can include, through one simple gui. Windows is like a dayjob keeping it updated completely and it's store is a joke (calculator-really?). Impossible really. Linux is better but windows is simply more used. Market share is for bankers. Linux is sad.

Last edited:
How about updating the entire OS at any time including all the software, all of it including a thousand more choices you can include, through one simple gui. Windows is like a dayjob keeping it updated completely and it's store is a joke.
^QFT
I bow to this glaring truth. This painful, most honest assessment. I live in fear of a reinstall of W7 SP1 with my 5 Mbps internet connection, along with my 100+ GB game folder. At my age, I might not live long enough to see a complete updating if I have to start fresh again. Just thinking about it will make me leave a night light on at bedtime.

How about updating the entire OS at any time including all the software, all of it including a thousand more choices you can include, through one simple gui. Windows is like a dayjob keeping it updated completely and it's store is a joke (calculator-really?). Impossible really. Linux is better but windows is simply more used. Market share is for bankers. Linux is sad.

Don't forget updating even the kernel without needing to reboot these days. kexec FTW :)

You could use LibreOffice and SoftOffice for all the things that MS Office can do.
And GNUCash is way better than Quicken in most respects.
Most companies that produce software for Microsoft are, I doubt paid by Microsoft to not make software available for Linux.
This thing would run off now as Microsoft provides Azure which is built on Linux.
So in no time we would see Microsoft- Linux or a similar thing.

You could use LibreOffice and SoftOffice for all the things that MS Office can do.
And GNUCash is way better than Quicken in most respects.
Most companies that produce software for Microsoft are, I doubt paid by Microsoft to not make software available for Linux.
This thing would run off now as Microsoft provides Azure which is built on Linux.
So in no time we would see Microsoft- Linux or a similar thing.
I mean that could be the case, or the overall market share of linux is so small that it isn't worth the development and support time to code and support other operating systems. The number of distros and the inherent variability between them all could make things quite complicated.

And just so you know, you are replying to messages that are 2+ years old

I've very recently switched my laptop (main computer) from Win 10 to Ubuntu 20. There are still some gaps but I plan to use VirtualBox to plug them. For what I do I rely a lot on Word + Endnote + ChemDraw, and Word integrating well with Endnote and ChemDraw - I haven't yet found a satisfactory Linux-based replacement. I'm kind of stuck with Endnote as I have thousands of references, and ChemDraw + Word allows structure editing in Word rather than having to export structures as images and then import/paste them into a word processor.

For most other things, and I know this is an old thread, I think Ubuntu 20 has nailed it.

I've very recently switched my laptop (main computer) from Win 10 to Ubuntu 20. There are still some gaps but I plan to use VirtualBox to plug them. For what I do I rely a lot on Word + Endnote + ChemDraw, and Word integrating well with Endnote and ChemDraw - I haven't yet found a satisfactory Linux-based replacement. I'm kind of stuck with Endnote as I have thousands of references, and ChemDraw + Word allows structure editing in Word rather than having to export structures as images and then import/paste them into a word processor.
https://jchempaint.github.io/
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/openofficeorg-chemistry

Back