• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i seriously think SATA is crap...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

it's been my long complain since atleast a year before. SATA HDD is a ***** to install window on cuzz my computer NEVER have a floppy. that means slip streams or can't get window on there.

WTF is wrong with technology, when IDE doens't need any driver and SATA does. that's [Less swearing please -- David] up. i seriouly hate my SATA HDD, i rather it works like IDE cuzz i'm never gonna hot swap. i swear they should just make IDE with new plugs (SATA plugs) and slam like 10 of those little thing on a mobo. that be sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a problem installing a SATA drive. SATA is better than IDE, small cables, hot swappable, etc. Keep in mind when Windows XP was put out, SATA wasn't even ready. Get a USB or an internal floppy drive, there's nothing wrong with the SATA technology, the problem lies on your end bud :-/ Don't get rid of those floppy's yet! If you want to take some time, you can slipstream the drivers into the XP install. It's not that big of a deal, takes 20 minutes.

Last edited:
warlock110 said:
it's been my long complain since atleast a year before. SATA HDD is a ***** to install window on cuzz my computer NEVER have a floppy. that means slip streams or can't get window on there.

WTF is wrong with technology, when IDE doens't need any driver and SATA does. that's fuk up. i seriouly hate my SATA HDD, i rather it works like IDE cuzz i'm never gonna hot swap. i swear they should just make IDE with new plugs (SATA plugs) and slam like 10 of those little thing on a mobo. that be sweet.

Don't be ridiculous. IDE DOES need a driver ... but Windows has a generic driver that works for all - and it's loaded. It's not hard to download nLite and integrate your SATA drivers.

SATA controllers will appear as old IDE controllers if you don't use a native driver during installation or operation. The spec is backwards compatible and was built that way from the ground up. So far I've not had a contoller ask for a floppy during a Windows (2k, XP, 2k3) installation unless it was onto a RAID volume. The irony here is your statement about IDE with new plugs - SATA is effectively that, as it is a new physical and transport layer, though the application layer (command set) is mostly encapsulated ATA-6 commands with desktop equipment. There are additional features such as NCQ and those associated with hot-swapping, but they are optional. Same with SAS, as that command set can be tunneled inside the SATA transport layer.

warlock110 said:

WTF is wrong with technology, when IDE doens't need any driver and SATA does. that's [Less swearing please -- David] up. i seriouly hate my SATA HDD, i rather it works like IDE cuzz i'm never gonna hot swap. i swear they should just make IDE with new plugs (SATA plugs) and slam like 10 of those little thing on a mobo. that be sweet.

I'd say this is the fault of Windows not allowing you to use a CD, IMO SATA is in no way to blame here.

I have installed XP without issue on my Raptor and have not needed any drivers other than what comes with XP to install the OS. It sounds like your slipstreamed disk is at fault as I bet a regular XP cd would work just fine.

How is this SATA's problem? I'd say Microsoft's... but in a way you can't blame them too much.. (for once.. )

What version of windows are you trying to install?
XP with SP2, seems to install on any SATA controller, older verions have problems.. sometimes, but you can't blame them since the tech was not out when the OS was released.. Just slipstream SP2 and you should have no Issues, if using XP..

Last edited:
It's even worse, with SATA you cannot move a harddrive from one architecture to another. That's a major annoyance, too.

There is just no excuse for Mickeysoft not relasing new CDs with newer drivers installed, not to mention Windows inability to switch hardrive controller drivers at boot time.

You can pop in any recent Linux or FreeBSD and install just fine on all onboard SATA, and when you are done with it you can move the drive to a computer with a different controller. And all without paying major bucks.

The mechanical design of SATA is crap, too. Snapping off connectors, anyone? Power connectors becoming loose, anyway?

OkydOky said:
How is this SATA's problem? I'd Microsoft's... but in a way you can't blame them too much.. (for once.. )

What version of windows are you trying to install?
XP with SP2, seems to install on any SATA controller, older verions have problems.. sometimes, but you can't blame them since the tech was not out when the OS was released.. Just slipstream SP2 and you should have no Issues, if using XP..

i have old version of window, no freaking wonder. um time to format that computer that's been on for 2 years lol. i always hated to go the extra mile to install stuff.

warlock110 said:
i have old version of window, no freaking wonder. um time to format that computer that's been on for 2 years lol. i always hated to go the extra mile to install stuff.

Which version?

uOpt said:
The mechanical design of SATA is crap, too. Snapping off connectors, anyone? Power connectors becoming loose, anyway?

Nothing inside a computer is meant to be mucked with repeatedly. Back in the day when parts were built robustly, connectors would fit too tight, not have keys, and rarely have plastic guards around pins to guide things into place. Now we have keys, color coding, and so on, but at the expense of parts being easier to dislodge or otherwise break. SATA is perfectly adequate for the three or four nines of situations where a case isn't opened for 6-12 months at a time.

And what's the big deal with floppy drives? They're $5 and every case has a bay for it, so doesn't hurt to have one..........

Adragontattoo said:
What is this floppy drive you speak of?

I havent used one on a home rig in probably 2-3 years or so. Then again streamlining is not something I mind doing so I really dont have to worry too much about it.
I use it for One thing:
RAID Drivers.
It's plugged for the Install, and unplugged once install is done, and sits on a shelf..

jeffp83 said:
I've never had a problem installing a SATA drive. SATA is better than IDE, small cables, hot swappable, etc. Keep in mind when Windows XP was put out, SATA wasn't even ready. Get a USB or an internal floppy drive, there's nothing wrong with the SATA technology, the problem lies on your end bud :-/ Don't get rid of those floppy's yet! If you want to take some time, you can slipstream the drivers into the XP install. It's not that big of a deal, takes 20 minutes.

or you could just make a bootable flash drive

^^^ I do the same thing.....go get one, it comes in handy once every 6 months, five bucks well spent!

slipstream your windows disk to include sp2, bam no more problem. Apparently someone has never used a Raptor, and they would be praising SATA

I needed a driver disc for my old A7N8X-E motherboard. Since moving to Socket 939, I've never needed another floppy to install with SATA.

Funny thing, I don't remember what chipset it was, just that it was an LGA775 board.

I was able to isntall Win98 to the computer without needing a floppy with drivers, but Windows XP wouldn't recognize the SATA drive and I needed to hit F6 and install drivers before I could get XP on it. This was about 1.5yrs ago, so I don't remmeber if it was an SP1 or SP2 install disc.

I have always thought it completely retarded that XP required Floppies to install 3d party controller drivers.

This is not about SATA. SATA is a wonderful improvement.

The problem is with Microsoft being clueless. Whoever sits at their desk implementing this crap in the install CDs should be shot out of a canon.

So SATA wasn’t even around when XP emerged? True
Floppy Drives are cheap and easy to install? Ditto

That’s not the point.

I have not used a floppy drive since 98SE, with the exception of having to install RAID, SCSI and SATA drivers. There was no need.

1. Just about any program installed since the introduction of 95 was on CD. Even pre-95, in the 3.1 days, half my programs were on CD.
2. Up to around 98se, the only thing on diskettes were small drivers for hardware like NICs and Modems. Sound, Motherboard and Video drivers were on CD.
3. Yes, SATA was not around ,but SCSI was. This is not a new problem as I slammed my head a few times due to newer Adaptec controllers.
4. Last time Floppies were used in volume was with the digital cameras that used them for storage.
5. What real use, other than RAID setup, would a floppy provide?

Even if we forget all of the above, there is still one thing.

Why in heck did they never give the option to install 3rd party drivers from CD? Its already there and loaded? WTF?

If I sound a little harsh, its because I have just spent 4+ hours trying to slipstream a XP64 cd manually and with aid of apps like nLite. No, I don’t own a floppy. I wouldn’t even begin to guess where I might have some usable diskettes. They are probably all in a landfill somewhere with my Tandy 1000 and cloth diapers.

Back