• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I killed my power supply today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Cornell

So I was shutting down my desktop as usual after a nice hard session of Oblivion/Shivering Isles. Actually, I've been pounding my current, almost 2 year old box with O/SI for about 2 weeks now. It's entirely possible that Oblivion killed my PSU. Anyways, Windows said now shutting down, then the screen went black and I heard a loud POP! :eek: and I smelled a burning smell as the PC blinked out. :eek:

The first thing I did was cut power from the surge suppressor, then I waited a few minutes and opened my case. Well, nothing looked visibly burned or scorched, which gives me hope that my motherboard didn't just get destroyed and my hard drives didn't just get torched. But plugging power back in and hitting the power switch does nothing. He's dead, Jim. :cry:

RIP Fortron/Sparkle FSP550-60PLG, just under 2 years old. Sigh. It wasn't a cheap PSU either, it cost me $110 from Newegg almost 2 years ago. Too bad Newegg and Sparkle both have a 1 year return policy, which I'm now outside of.
icon_frown.gif

I hope the rest of my computer still works when I get a replacement PSU for it.
scared.gif

Does it really seem like I was overloading a rather beefy PSU with this box? (See sig, the PSU was rated for 36A on single +12V rail.) I wonder if it was really Oblivion that killed my PSU, or was it dying for a long time and I just broke it's back with a really demanding game? Does anybody happen to have any suggestions for a good new PSU? It seems Fortron/Sparkle Power are now off of my 'good list', so perhaps another brand which is good? Maybe with a warranty longer than 1 year? And what are the chances that anything else in my box got burned when the PSU finally gave out? :confused:

Anyways, I was at Newegg and I saw these:

Here's a Seasonic model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151028

Meanwhile Silverstone has this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256006

I wonder which one would be better for me. Outside of the $20 price difference, of course. I hear Antec sources their high-end PSUs from Seasonic now, after years of using Channel Well previously. The Seasonic models tout minimum 80% efficiency at all load levels, something which appeals to me as right now this box is like a space heater in my smallish apartment and it sucks unbelievable quantities of juice.

I'm not going to buy another Fortron/Sparkle Power PSU. That ought to seem obvious as I just killed one stone dead, but please don't suggest another FSP product. 1 year warranty just doesn't cut it anymore.

The FSP wasn't overloaded, it just blew. That calculator is highly innacurate.

The Corsairs deserve a look too if you're considering Seasonic... they also represent Seasonic's best units. I'd scratch Antec off the list - they're indeed using Seasonic and FSP now, but you won't see the best work of either from them.

The Etasis made Zeus 750W is about the best quality unit you can get... it won't disappoint you.

That Sparkel was a nice PSU.. too bad you can't get it repaired :-/
maybe the classies could get it to someone that could do that :shrug:

anyway.. OW's advice is always :thup: and deadeyedata has solid deals on all silverstone PSU's generaly.

Good luck with the new PSU :thup:

New is always good but, if I were in your spot, I'd call or contact the PSU maker and see about a replacement for that failed unit. IMO, a 1 year warranty on a PSU is a joke. If you are persistant, you may get them to help you out. It can't hurt to try before buying a new unit.

I'd go for the 620W Corsair HX. It combines the best of Seasonic's S12 and M12 models, modular cables and no 80mm secondary fan to add noise. I have one incoming from ZipZoomFly as we speak. Read the review of it on HardOCP, it kicked some PSU butt. :)

ha. it recommends over 750 watts for me. Running just fine on a 600w ocz. Hmmm....

By the way if noise is a problem I hear corsair makes some pretty quiet ones if I remember right.

my PSU did that and then some. ABOUT 6 wires melted and(i have no idea why they did it was a cheap 450W i bought at a computer store) but insted of it dying all by itself it fried my mobo, 60gb segate hard drive, cd-rw/dvd, Amd sempron @ 1.81Ghz, 1Gb ram, ati video card, 5.1 sound card and then burned and had to be put out with a bucket of water.

SuperCross said:
(i have no idea why they did it was a cheap 450W i bought at a computer store) .
There's your answer:mad: And I just have to ask, did you really put out an electrical fire with a bucket of water?

IIRC the newegg units were only avaible OEM, not sure about any other source (some of the server supply websites sold them as well and I don't recall if they were only OEM)

I figured as much and hoped you were bright enough to unplug it. Otherwise, you may be a Darwin Award candidate.

Back