• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I might be going there

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scorpion12

Registered
To the wonderful world where the computers are fast, the fans are loud, and the speed can be felt.

I finally got part of my tax return (why don't banks stay open late on Fridays?) and have a friend getting me an Abit KT7A Raid Monday.

Tonight, I'm ordering a processor, and ram, and heatsink/fan, and arctic silver...

Next week, I'll get some storage space and scare up a case, and I'll be ready to install the win2k pro and linux (I've got Redhat 5.2... recommendations on Linux?)

Scorpion12

why not consider ddr? I have good results from it right now, when the boards mature all you will need to do is get a new board, not a new board AND the ram for it. Also, aquastealth2 kits are pretty cheap and they will grow with your system ensuring you get the most out of whatever chip you use with it, as you know aircooling wont get you anywhere near as good of a oc as watercooling will

scorpion12 (Apr 07, 2001 09:21 p.m.):
To the wonderful world where the computers are fast, the fans are loud, and the speed can be felt.

I finally got part of my tax return (why don't banks stay open late on Fridays?) and have a friend getting me an Abit KT7A Raid Monday.

Tonight, I'm ordering a processor, and ram, and heatsink/fan, and arctic silver...

Next week, I'll get some storage space and scare up a case, and I'll be ready to install the win2k pro and linux (I've got Redhat 5.2... recommendations on Linux?)

Scorpion12

Hmmm . . . Linux eh? Well, for starters, make sure that LILO (LInux LOader) loads off of a floppy. Windows2000 guards its bootloader very, very jealously. Also, for the newer board, I'd go w/ a newer version of Linux. If you're new to Linux, I'd suggest Mandrake 7.2 or RedHat 7. You can get Linux ISO's at http://linuxiso.org. But if you're a masochist, I'd suggest Slackware 7 ^_^. Good luck!

Back