• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought the R600 was supose to kill 8800gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well now. Since the 2900XT isn't competing with the GTX maybe it'll be priced low to slaughter the GTS... but doing that don't help daamit that much. On the other hand, if it's over priced, then that doesn't help daamit at all.

Pffft well that's just stupid. Kudos to nVidia for bucking up their ideas from the 7900 series, but ATi had a superior design from that generation, I guess that this industry is truly one of ups and downs.

deathman20 said:
That 16 ROPs sucks. What its been well the past 2 gens hasn't it?

Yes it has but # ROPs isn't all that matters. How many pixels they can {output per clock}*{clock speed} is what determines pixel fillrate output. The GTX 'only' has 6 ROPs technically but they can each output 4 pixels per clock, then the # {textures/clock} determines texture fillrate. The 7900GTX actually has a higher pixel and texture fillrate than the 8800GTS which is how it manages to be almost comparable in some older titles. AMD may have upgraded their ROPs to output multiple pixels/clock as well.

Here's a handy chart: http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=5

The XT wasn't supposed to compete with the GTX anyway. The delays didn't allow a total re-do of the general design and remember this part was slated for December or January originally. If it had been on time, even with the XTX a bit later there wouldn't be anything to complain about. Q3 for the XTX is just really bad even if it is a halo high-end part. AMD had better kick some butt in the mid-range if they want to make some cash off ATi any time soon. The other thing AMD needs is some better partners for their cards, NV has lots of partners with good support and warranties AMD needs more of that.

MadMan007 said:
The XT wasn't supposed to compete with the GTX anyway. The delays didn't allow a total re-do of the general design and remember this part was slated for December or January originally. If it had been on time, even with the XTX a bit later there wouldn't be anything to complain about. Q3 for the XTX is just really bad even if it is a halo high-end part. AMD had better kick some butt in the mid-range if they want to make some cash off ATi any time soon. The other thing AMD needs is some better partners for their cards, NV has lots of partners with good support and warranties AMD needs more of that.

Well at the very least they're still doing okay with AMD laptops and built-in ATI cards... (though they aren't even doing as well THERE as they could be...)

I don't know... the State of the AMD/ATI Union is somewhat bizarre. You've got ATI being stomped by NVIDIA on the left, and AMD being stomped by EVERYBODY on all sides. (Motherboard, CPU, packaging that isn't so damned green.)

What they really need is a Steve Jobs-like Apple revolution. Or something like what Nintendo accomplished with the DS Lite: Lemons into Liquid Gold.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XTX+Doomed+from+the+Start/article7052.htm

So basically after all the delays and promises it appears ATI will release cards that will not be any real difference over the nvidia cards already released for many months?
I know its all speculation at this point but it just really doesnt look good. It makes you wonder if the original cards were actually going to be worse then current Nvidia cards and all the delays have just been to make the card respectable. Anyway you look it, looks like ATI has lost a lot of business and money and will likely continue to. If Nvidia is smart they will do a price drop when ATI hits the market. A price drop would likely be a further crushing financial blow to the train wreck that is currently ATI/AMD.
Dont get me wrong I love my x1900gt, I dont know how but it consistently beats my more expensive 7900gt, but ATI appears to be not doing well at all.

ahbroody said:
http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XTX+Doomed+from+the+Start/article7052.htm

So basically after all the delays and promises it appears ATI will release cards that will not be any real difference over the nvidia cards already released for many months?
I know its all speculation at this point but it just really doesnt look good. It makes you wonder if the original cards were actually going to be worse then current Nvidia cards and all the delays have just been to make the card respectable. Anyway you look it, looks like ATI has lost a lot of business and money and will likely continue to. If Nvidia is smart they will do a price drop when ATI hits the market. A price drop would likely be a further crushing financial blow to the train wreck that is currently ATI/AMD.
Dont get me wrong I love my x1900gt, I dont know how but it consistently beats my more expensive 7900gt, but ATI appears to be not doing well at all.

Well if you pull up dailytech you can also look at this one then.
http://r800.blogspot.com/ (down the page 1 article)

It holds its ground or above the GTS actually and if the results are semi true for the Crossfire well damn. Thats nearly a 80-90% increase in preformance from adding another card, well more than what SLI is doing currently.

The DX10 tests down lower is funny, ATI benchmark so surely the nVidia stuff won't run properly on it.

ROFL haha now these results show a different story, the new ATi cards absolutely thrashing the 8800GTS, even when they're in SLI they often fail to beat a single X2900XT! :beer:

Looks like you'll get a ATi card after all Deathman, if these results are anywhere near accurate. :D

Those results are wierd. Compare the 1.7 to 1.9 table for single cards you'll see what I mean, . I wonder if the 1.7 table 8xAA 'Adaptive Antialiasing' is a new AA mode for ATi, like the 8xQ for NV?

Three threads going on this, but I haven't heard this yet:

Trust no scores until you buy it off the shelf and bench it yourself.

Mm lots of people have said 'wait til real sites post articles' or something to that effect. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say you need to buy it yourself though ;) Dailytech is half-reputable, much more so than the other trumped-up sites but it's still not like seeing Anand, Techreport, [H] etc.

Its just enough to wet the mouth ;) But yet alot of salt to give you that funny taste.

aaronjb said:
Three threads going on this, but I haven't heard this yet:

Trust no scores until you buy it off the shelf and bench it yourself.

That's not nearly as cool as "Not until I sticketh my hand into His case and count the memory sticks... only then shall I believe."

rainless said:
That's not nearly as cool as "Not until I sticketh my hand into His case and count the memory sticks... only then shall I believe."

Haha. Nice. :beer:

My point is this: it's al FUD until a source you trust posts info. If you trust the sites with info so far, then it's all good. And I've got a bridge to sell you.. :)

aaronjb said:
Haha. Nice. :beer:

My point is this: it's al FUD until a source you trust posts info. If you trust the sites with info so far, then it's all good. And I've got a bridge to sell you.. :)

I always wanted my own bridge... :)

Well you know the old saying: Where there's smoke... there's fire.

And there's been a hell of a lot of smoke coming from all directions.

Man, this is looking bad for AMD. First Intel takes their crown in the CPU market and now Nvidia has been confirmed to be able to at least match their best and with an already aging card to top it off.

BF_TEXMASTER said:
I trust Ed. When he comes out and says ATI is in trouble you can believe it

This is no surprise, really. AMD as a whole in in a last-ditch effort to bring the company back to profitability. Those in control of the company are sinking the ship fast.

Back