• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to change my power led light but....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut

Registered
I want to change my power led light which is currently green and change it to blue. While i know that some mobos have problems lighting up the blue due to proper voltages. I believe my mobo will be sufficient as others who have my mobo apparently have no problems with it being dim.

My question involves the install. I am going to purchase a light already pre-wired. I have a Lian-Li case. Is this simply a Remove and replace kinda deal. Has anyone done this w/o having to actually do any soldering which i have no clue on how to do.

thanks for you help.

If the mobo powers it then it will be just a simple replacement, but if not then you will need to power it from a molex connector.

I replaced mine with a UV led from frozencpu.com which came prewired. I just stuck it in there. No cutting wires or soldering

anyway, i just bought mine from radioshack, cut the wires, reconnected them to the new led and VULA! IT LIT UP AWSOME

Its hard to tell what it really looks like from the pic.
623-1007-36338.jpg

Is that blue or purple, Ahh are those those lights that turn your clothing Purple. cool if it is

just swapped mine out straight. got it at mouser for $1.95. of course i bout a dozen white and blue 3mm & 5mm. needless to say every damn led in my apartment is modded. im waiting for the price to come down on the pcb mount flat leds so i can swap out the ones on my dsl modem.

should be no problem. you cant do much dammage if your carefull. i just pulled the cpu out so i could test pos and neg. while powered up.

~z

I just finished tonight in fact, replacing the HDD and Power LED on my PC-60.

The voltage delivered to the two LED's is 3.3V from the motherboard, so you need to choose LED's that require around 3.3V.

The Blue LED I used requires (likes) 3.5V, so it isn't AS bright as it could be, but it looks really nice anyways.

http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=33_37&products_id=74

The Red LED I replced the HDD with likes 1.9V, so I had to put a resistor inline to prevent the LED from burning out. The Red looks beautiful when active.

http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=33_37&products_id=190

The Lian-Li cases have a bunch of wires connected together that go from the front bezel of the case and speaker, to the motherboard. The white wires are the negative leads, the colored ones are the positive.

To figure out if you need a resistor to limit voltage, the equation is

R=V/I

R is what you solve for, V is (3.3-Power req. of the LED) and I is the ampere rating of the LED, most are 20mA, so the value for I is .02

So R=(3.3-LED)/.02

Hope that helps, just remember white wire is negative, and resistors go on the negative leads (the short lead on the LED).

-Jason

Back