• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to paint my case chrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Needitcooler

I want to paint my case chrome. Does anyone know of a spray-paint that will help me achieve this goal? I went to 2 different autoparts stores today and they had chrome spray paint, but it was for bumpers. I wasn't sure if it would work on my case. Thanks for any input.

I heard that chrome spray paint is pretty bad. Thats why most mods you see (if not all) go and have it professionally done. Let us know the results =D

dj_2004 said:
I heard that chrome spray paint is pretty bad. Thats why most mods you see (if not all) go and have it professionally done. Let us know the results =D

I dont know how often this might be a concern, but you cant chrome, say, plastic parts. Thus, the paint would be VERY helpful if that situation popped up.

Well, I sanded everything down and applied my first layer. I plan on taking about 3 days to complete everything. I will definetely post pics after I am done.

The real key to painting plastic is sanding and roughing the surface up then applying a good coat of primer to the plastic. Then you paint it the color you want. If you apply a good coat of primer to plastic you can then paint it pretty much whatever you want.

Be warned that trying to aply the clear coat is going to make you really mad. I tried the same thing, but clear coat turns the finish mat grey. If you don't clear it, then the paint will start to dull and will turn duller. I have found no way around this yet. Oh and just FYI, you can chrome plastic. There are many sites online that do it. Look at the oricle3 project over at www.bit-tech.net. All the boxes were plastic. They just coat it in a metalic paint then chrome it. good luck though

It turned out really nice. I am very happy with the results. I will take some pictures later. I did use some clearcoat. I used a technique that someone recommended on this forum for applying it.

Cool, I want to see this, I intend to use that chrome paint myself, I'm curious as to how it looks, there were no pics of it on the Dupli-colour site. I'm patiently waiting for the pics.

...TAP...

...TAP...

...TAP...

:D

I know you've already painted it but you can also look into powdercoating for your metal parts. They offer one called Almost Chrome that would work well and is incredibly scratch and damage resistent.

Can't wait to see what this chrome finish looks like! Might have to think about doing the same thing to a spare case I have.

Back