• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k oc help (newbie) :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

czspray

HI new to forum and very newbie to overclocking. i just need some help trying to oc my i52500k so i can get the most out of it. my system specs are.

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

Sparkle Computer Corp GOLD CLASS SCC-850AF 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active, 0.99PF Typical ...

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

and for cooling i use

CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

my mobo has a preset oc tweaking in its bios. but from what iv read or heard from other people is that they put the voltage alittle higher then need. So if i can set it manually with less voltage to reduce the heat that would be better im guessing. but then again i wouldn't know how.

If someone can help me clock it manually that would be awesome :)

p.s my ideal clock speed i would like to hit stable is 4.2ghz

You'll probably hit that speed on stock voltage or about. So a good place to start is to stress your system for a couple minutes while it's on default, monitor Vcore, and then input the same amount in the Bios using Manual voltage and a multiplier of 42 (Core Ratio). Then stress again to check for stability. Up the Vcore if unstable. Don't see no point in trying to go with lower voltage if it IS stable. Stock voltage is pretty much safe to run forever...

Then you can use an Offset Vcore instead of Manual to have your clocks and voltages idling when you're not using the system much.

Please look in the stickies here, or google, there are billions of guides out there to help you get much more than 4.2GHz without using crazy settings and cooling... Your 2500K would probably run 4.5GHz on a breeze...

awesome. thanks for the help. ill go threw the links that was posted. Thanks everyone

Back