• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-8500 cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronss

Registered
i have a i5-8500, and was considering upgrading....i only game, and from what i have seen, its just not worth upgrading to the 9th gen...i just dont see a lot of fps difference in games.....am i wrong?????

You have a 6-core CPU with a turbo speed of 4.1 GHz which is fine for gaming. The only reason to upgrade would be get something like the 8-core i7-9700 with a turbo speed of 4.7 GHz. That would give you more cores and a faster speed. You can't OC with a B360 motherboard.

thanks....even with most 9th gerneration, i dont see a huge leap in fps in games.

You wouldnt, no. It's a meager (zero?) IPC difference and clocks a bit higher. It would only benefit if a game used more than 6 threads... which is few now. I'd wait until next gen at least.

i5 8500 can't push past the limits of a Rx 5700 xt, you would need a RTX 2080ti like the reviews use. If you had a RTX 2080ti it would be limited by the i5 8500 clock speed if you had high Hz monitor. What monitor do you have?

Last edited:
Going to keep it till next gen, whenever that will be...rumor maybe christmas

not sure...now i am looking at a z390 chipset board, replace my b-360 gaming plus board....so many to choose from

Back