• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790k 1.3V (Cpu Core Volatege) shown in red under BIOS settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:( I see. What im doing is not good than. During Prime test, the CPU frequency was fixed but CPU ratio was switching between 39 and 40. Is it a throttling? By the way it passed all test within one hour of testing.

With all the various powersaving/heat saving technologies such as Speedstep and Turbo mode that Intel had in place not all the cores run at the same speed at any given time, even under stress. Only one of the cores at any given time will be showing the turbo speed and that turbo speed is rotated among the various cores. What you describe sounds normal to me. If all the cores slow down dramatically at the same time then you have thermal throttling. Still, you should not be stress testing this system any more if you are hitting temps of 100c.

As I said above, you need to demonstrate to the system builder that the system is running abnormally hot at stock voltages and frequencies if you expect to make a case.

With all the various powersaving/heat saving technologies such as Speedstep and Turbo mode that Intel had in place not all the cores run at the same speed at any given time, even under stress. Only one of the cores at any given time will be showing the turbo speed and that turbo speed is rotated among the various cores. What you describe sounds normal to me. If all the cores slow down dramatically at the same time then you have thermal throttling. Still, you should not be stress testing this system any more if you are hitting temps of 100c.

As I said above, you need to demonstrate to the system builder that the system is running abnormally hot at stock voltages and frequencies if you expect to make a case.

Than i have no argument because in stock voltages and frequencies the system is stable. I made a long call with the shop i bought the case from, I still gave my right to return parts of the system within 14 days. I think im gonna buy a Corsair H105 Cooler and a 750W gold PSU and hope everytihg gonna be okay. Thanks for your response you really helped me man

- - - Updated - - -

What version of Prime95 are you using?

v28.5

Stable at stock frequencies and voltages is one thing. Running at 100c at stock frequencies and voltages is another. It shouldn't be reaching 100c at stock frequencies and voltages. Is it? I understood from your originals posts that such was the case. This is getting confusing. So please just do this simple test: Download and install the latest version of IntelBurnTest. Download and install HWMonitor (non pro version). Open HWMonitor on the desktop and then run the IntelBurnTest for 10 iterations on the "Standard" level of stress. Make sure the CPU bios and memory settings are on stock/default which would happen if you if you strike the F9 key while in bios.

The test should take 5 minutes or so to complete and will drive up core temps close to the max you would experience on a much longer test with Prime95, maybe within 2c. Then post back with a pic of HWMonitor immediately after the test is done so we can see what the max temps reached were. Stretch the HWMonitor window if necessary in order to show the core temps.

To attach a pic, capture the image with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Frame it before capturing it. We only want to see the HWMonitor window, not your whole desktop. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. Then you will see the tools for locating your pic and also attaching it.

That version is why you're hitting such high temps. Try Intel Burn Test instead

Yeah, the latest version of Prime95 has the AVX II instruction set and really drives temps up like mad. Many overcockers are avoiding it, either going back to v.27.9 or using some other stress tester like AIDA64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

Those temps are barely within the safe range. I would expect better temps than that from the Intel stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU. Unless that is, your ambient (room) temps are quite high. Where do you live? Is the room temp where the computer lives very hot ?

For now I use it in an Internet Cafe. What i understood from you is that i should change my cooler. I was thinking of buying a Corsair 105 Extreme Performance Cooler.

- - - Updated - - -

The place makes you feel hot bot not too much. Still of course not an ideal place for using a computer

If you are going to overclock much at all you will need a better cooler, regardless of whether or not the present one is working properly. It will not support much overclocking even when it is operating at peak efficiency. But again, make sure you have room in your case for what you buy. What is the make and model of your case?

It is CORSAIR CC-9011046-WW Graphite 730T USB3.0 FULL-TOWER case. I got your point. But it will help me if you be more specific. For instance, what will be the difference between a Corsair H105 and a Thermaltake III ultimate in terms of overclocking?

I wanna tell you my CPU's results im sure that will give you an idea about my possible target CPU voltage and frequencies. The best i could do was this:

CPU-Zresult.PNG RealTempresult.PNG AIDA64result.PNG

I'm guessing the Thermaltake unit will give 4-6c lower temps than the Corsair 105.

DO you think is it worth buying Thermaltake than? There is like 100USD difference between them. And for 6C. Well im not sure

Probably not. Do you have access to the Corsair 110 which has a 2x140mm radiator instead of 2x120mm ?

Yes, I would. The bigger the radiator the more cooling capacity your will have all other things being equal. Radiator surface area is the key factor in water cooling. As long as it's not too much more money, that is. A 2x140 radiator is the equivalent of a 2x120 radiator plus a 1x40 radiator. Not a huge amount bigger but something as long as the cost is similar.

I think im gonna buy it. And yes, as you may have noticed, im quite whimsey nowadays.

- - - Updated - - -

Price is like 30usd more and will not be a problem

Back