• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 5820K not Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apostel

Hello,

I want to overclock my 5820k but as soon as i start overclocking i get bluescreens( sometimes on windows startup sometimes later).
I tried overclocking this cpu earlier this year with a different win 10 installation and had the same issue.
Maybe someone has an idea what could cause the problem?

Mainboard: asrock X99 Extreme4

Thank you very much for every answer!

Apostel, welcome to the forum. A few questions first, what are you cooling the cpu with and how are you overclocking it? If you aren't already, in most cases, overclocking through the BIOS is your best bet. You should post up some pics of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. So we can see if your memory timings are correct.

You need to provide some information on exactly what you are doing. What are you setting the multiplier to, what VCore setting, etc.

Thank you for the fast answer.
Unbenannt.PNG Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt3.PNG Unbenannt4.PNG

Last thing i tried was setting multiplier to 42x and voltage to 1.3V (the rest was set to auto in the bios)
I also tried some predefined oc options in my bios.
I tried overclocking via bios and intel extreme tuning util.

Cooling:(sorry for the big image)
IMG_20171215_020539.jpg

What power supply? List system specs plz...

Update to the latest bios...try 1.3v and 40x and see if that works.

Yep, 4.2 GHz @ 1.3V should work. Here's my CPU-Z screens from back when I had my X99 rig. Ran as high as 4.4 GHz, but dropped it back to 4.3 GHz for complete stability insurance. I was running a Gigabyte X99-UD3P so I'm not familiar with your ASRock's BIOS configuration.

CPU-z-3.jpg

Have you tried stress testing at stock first? I would check that for a few hours..

(my "little" cousin has that chip in his alienware! Sweet equipment! He's not overclocking though, afraid to break it) :D

Without overclocking i dont have any stability issues.

I now tried a multiplier of 37 and 1.3V. it got windows started but the second i pressed start on prime95 it crashed (bluesceen CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT)

My power supply is an 850W Corsair RMi Series RM850i.
Also in the system 2x Amd Fury X
specs.PNG
1 h of prime95 so far
thermal.PNG

Last edited:
Ok... a couple of things...

1. Is your dual channel ram (in quad channel platform??) In the right slots? See manual.
2. Your fan in the screenshot appears to be blowing to the FRONT of the case? Your airflow should be front/sides = intake and top/rear should be exhaust. What is your airflow lime inclduing the fans on the cooler??
3. Set input voltage to 1.9 (from 1.8) amd try 4ghz 1.25v.

83C seems a bit hot for a stock run of Prime95. IIRC, I wasn't getting that high overclocked to 4.3 GHz. I was cooling with a Cooler Master Hyper 212. Maybe you need to check the HS/Fan installation and re-apply thermal compound.

So i reapplied thermal paste cleaned the fan and the temp dropped to 60°C.
But my memory was sin the wrong slots. Stick 1 has to be in slot 1. the other has to be furthest away.
After the memory slot position change i tried again to oc to 4 GHz and it worked. for the first time i was able to overclock the cpu.
So it finally worked. Stable 4Ghz.

Thank you very much!

Glad you got it sorted out. I had two i7-5820K rigs and they were rock stable for me and still perform competitively with newer CPUs. Enjoy!

Back