• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i9-7920X OC Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DieselTwitch

Registered
I'm brand new to OCing. So be gentle with me!

Following youtube videos (Intel's Sponsered OC for the i9 by LTT) right now im running at about 65-75c at 1.00-1.15v at 4.01GHz In another thread one of the guys mentioned that this is not good.... why not?

One of the other things I'm noticing is my DDR4-2666 GSkil 65GB is running at Only 1333.2MHz... WTF? I thought I turned on XMP... Like I said I'm new... save me!

I can't make any changes right now. I have 4 hours 58 Minutes left on processing some data. I should mention that this is not a gaming rig. I use it for work.

Forgot to mention that im only aircooling this with a Noctua- NH-D15

Last edited:
I think he felt the temp was a bit high for that OC but on Air I can see it. I have the 7900X and it's one hot chip. As for your memory 1333 at DDR ( double data rate) is 2666 so it's running the right speed.
Your ceiling on that CPU temp with is 85-90° so you still have some headroom. Do you have it set in BIOS at 1.1V or is that on auto?

I think he felt the temp was a bit high for that OC but on Air, I can see it. I have the 7900X and it's one hot chip. As for your memory 1333 at DDR ( double data rate) is 2666 so it's running the right speed.
Your ceiling on that CPU temp with is 85-90° so you still have some headroom. Do you have it set in BIOS at 1.1V or is that on auto?

That's on all auto. One thing I've noticed is with burn-in programs like Prime95 it runs super hot super fast 100c within seconds. but when I put a realistic load on it like Agisoft Photoscan it runs alot cooler? what gives? I may also need to play with my Case fan profiles as It screams under prime 95 but is actaully super quite under Photoscan. Right now its drawing about 325w. I thoght it would be much higher than that?

Create a signature with your specs in it. Mobo... etc.

Id expect that cooler to handle 4ghz 1.1V better than that in p95. The 65-75 temps you are seeing, is that idle or load? What load?

Last edited:
Create a signature with your specs in it. Mobo... etc.

Id expect that cooler to handle 4ghz 1.1V better than that in p95. The 65-75 temps you are seeing, is that idle or load? What load?

Full real-world load (Agisoft Photoscan). Once I'm done processing this data set I'm going into the BIOS to change the fan profiles.

Under Prime95 temps spike to 100c in seconds. I'm thinking I need to do a baseline benchmark first.

If the voltage is on auto the the motherboard will adjust it however it sees fit. When it senses an AVX load like P95 it really pours on the coals. Try going into BIOS and setting a static multipier of 40 and manual voltage of 1.1 V then test things.

Soooo, you are saying adjusting the fans saved you 40C????? Or is this your light loads with that photo program? Bottom line is you should be able to run p95...

Soooo, you are saying adjusting the fans saved you 40C????? Or is this your light loads with that photo program? Bottom line is you should be able to run p95...

I can't run p95 without it thermal throttling, should I be able to? When I do Prime I run the Small FFT's settings.

The 55c is running my photoscan program

Capture.PNG

I have a 7920X, sorry I'm late to the party, anything that still needs answered? I'm watercooled and I had to beef up my loop for the 12 cores 7920X. It's a beast and can get hot. I have things worked out pretty good now.

7920X 4800MHz TridentZ 4200.jpg

I have a 7920X, sorry I'm late to the party, anything that still needs answered? I'm watercooled and I had to beef up my loop for the 12 cores 7920X. It's a beast and can get hot. I have things worked out pretty good now.

View attachment 194999

I wish I could put a decent loop in my case and keep this beast cool but no room...
I think I'm going to check out Rockit's website tomorrow for cyber monday, says there will be a good sale. I have one core that likes to run 8C hotter than the rest.

Back