• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iceland: crypto currency uses more energy than home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my tv is a huge plasma, much better with motion than led.
we live on an insignificant little stone, one of trillions, in a very special place, at a very special time.
no one else knows nor can know we are here.
change one little thing, move the moon, which can't be there, move us a little further from or closer to our star and we all parish, we mean nothing.
as for me, I am but a ghost, driving a skeleton, wrapped in a meat suit, made out of star dust, why should I be concerned?

Haha! The world always underestimates the Florida Redneck's education and worldliness. Usually at their intellectual peril. :clap:

we live on an insignificant little stone, one of trillions, in a very special place, at a very special time.
no one else knows nor can know we are here.
change one little thing, move the moon, which can't be there, move us a little further from or closer to our star and we all parish, we mean nothing.
as for me, I am but a ghost, driving a skeleton, wrapped in a meat suit, made out of star dust, why should I be concerned?

While that's a cute quote, if you think that the things we do don't effect future generations then there is no way I would ever change your mind. It's all good though, I'll keep my opinion and you keep yours.

you believe this, I believe that, that's a very good thing.
if we thought and believed the same we might all be driving Gremlins.

you believe this, I believe that, that's a very good thing.
if we thought and believed the same we might all be driving Gremlins.

There was a guy in a trailer park in west Broward who had a silver and black Gremlin X. I think it had a 427 Rat and a 4 gear in it. Wasn't pretty, but to paraphrase Stalin, function has a form of it's own.

If motion is what you're after, go OLED. No need for the "motion compensation" crap LCDs have. Better blacks, better motion, better power usage, better paper-thin-screen :p

Also, DEAR WORLD: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN LED SCREEN!! The screen on an "LED TV" is LCD. The backlight being LED changes nothing about the characteristics of the actual display.

Last edited:
Also, DEAR WORLD: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN LED SCREEN!! The screen on an "LED TV" is LCD. The backlight being LED changes nothing about the characteristics of the actual display.
Quantum Dot displays are technically a kind of LED display.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display#Active-matrix_light-emitting_diodes

Back to crypto, many attempts at energy efficient altcoins have had limited success at most. Perk, the coin I started on, suddenly crashed near the middle of a year when many miners went offline after many reached their yearly exchange limits. Realbucks never really got off the ground. Swagbucks, the coin that I have been mining for the longest time, is in the middle of a halving and the only good news I can say is that my most recent exchange order (Swagbucks to Amazon gift cards) went through so that's safe from any instability that might set in.

All in all, I'm glad I got my claim to fame relating to crypto when the chance to do so was fading away. The solar panel I used in the setup was bought using mining profit, which represents a transition from a short term investment (crypto mining) to a long term investment (solar power). That solar panel likely would be the most special one I will ever own.

I also accidentally made art with something that was supposed to help an artist. Back story was that Naomi Wu was asking for help again so I sent her a bit of mining profit. Then I wanted to make a post on Facebook about how I'm helping, so I looked at the Verilog code running my FPGA miner to try to find an interesting picture to put in the post. When initially opened in Xilinx Vivado, every line is green which doesn't look very nice. I changed the colors of several of the lines and before I knew it, I made art!
fpgaminer.png

I can see getting your 300-600 watts from pure solar being a good thing, but the bank of batteries that have to be replaced every three years or so just can't be green at all.

A lot of "green" tech is an environmental hoax. The industrial waste from battery factories is pretty bad. My favorite, though, was "carbon credits". LMAO! Better known as the "Buy Algore another house tax". :rofl:

I can see getting your 300-600 watts from pure solar being a good thing, but the bank of batteries that have to be replaced every three years or so just can't be green at all.
A LiFePO4 pack lasts way longer than just 3 years, more like 10 years or more.

A lot of "green" tech is an environmental hoax. The industrial waste from battery factories is pretty bad. My favorite, though, was "carbon credits". LMAO! Better known as the "Buy Algore another house tax". :rofl:

Please take your BS elsewhere. A modern battery pack lasts well over a decade. There is one-time pollution on the manufacturing end. When the battery degrades past usefulness, it can still be recycled. Any steam-turbine power plant (coal, NG, "biofuel", nuclear) is continuously producing pollution, from burning fuel and/or storing waste product afterwards, depending on what the fuel is.

I said the waste from battery factories is pretty bad. How is that BS? Might want to check the attitude and work on the reading skills.

any body running a multi card miner on a lifepo4 pack?
the hybrid car and lectric car batteries are killed by the heat here in the south.
when the batteries need replacing they run the hybrids on all gas due to the replacement cost and plug ins just go to the crusher.
people don't budget for this and over a grand for it is steep as the car ages.

any body running a multi card miner on a lifepo4 pack?
All of my dedicated mining hardware (cheap smartphones, old tablets, and a small ASIC board) run on solar power. Those connect to a 12.8V, 82Ah LiFePO4 pack via a DC/DC converter with a 100W solar panel to keep it topped up. That battery pack is also the UPS pack for my main PC and IT infrastructure, with software support for Ohmconnect, a program that pays to reduce usage during peak hours.

that's cool!!!!
but can it scale to feed a 500-600 watt rig and remain profitable?

It would not be profitable to scale up the setup since the profitability is way down thanks to the recent halving and constantly increasing difficulty. The coins are also IP limited specifically to prevent large scale operations raising the difficulty overnight.

At this point, it's profitable to keep the setup running but not to buy new hardware to mine with.

Back