• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IM TIRED OF HEARING MY FANS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That happened when I replaced my older Hitachi 300GB in my HTPC with a 60GB SSD. I turned it on and said wtf? But yeah I didn't realize how loud those older hard drives are.

I run 4 of those 120mm orange Xigma fans on a fan controller. I normally keep them around 1000rpm, but I have set them down to ~700RPM in the past and they are quiet.
I have an old WD Black 200Gb, and every time it shuts down due to inactivity, I can hear the spindle click into place and when the disk spins down sounds like a jet engine winding down, it lasts about 12 seconds.

A.K.A. low voltage. But why bother? They're quiet enough at full speed (especially 140mm+).

Why bother? I like "quiet"; with my window closed and my HVAC off, birds chirping in the yard are louder than my computer.

Why bother? I like "quiet"; with my window closed and my HVAC off, birds chirping in the yard are louder than my computer.

True dat. I cant stand mechanical hard drives, let alone the whirr of two or three 120mm fans buzzing. For a while I was using SilenX fans, until I upgraded to sound cladding insulation.
I didn't want to risk cutting down airflow with a fan controller.

1. They're Noctua. They're already practically silent.
2. They're 140mm. I've yet to meet a quality (not $5 crap) 140mm fan that is actually noisy when mounted properly (excluding Delta double-rotors, of course).

Low voltage is overkill.

Eh. The only two fans I own that I can comfortably run at 12v are my gentle typhoon ap13 1150rpm 120mm. And my thermalright x silent 140mm. Any other fan I've used of 120/140mm variety is too 'loud'. Where loud is purely subjective. My computer under load is as quiet as it is generally under idle.

To be fair I've never used 140mm Noctua. Only my uh 92mm that came with my U9b SE2. But they're 92mm. I needed the LNA on those. At 12v their sound signature bothers me lol.

Back