• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infrequent BSOD 0x00000124. Cannot isolate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilPeppard

Good morning all. First off, I did a search on these forums and found this other thread regarding BSOD and 0x00000124. That person's issue ended up being a CPU, but I do not have the same resources to test with that he did, and my specs are different, so I am looking for some suggestions here before I go blow money frivolously.

My specs are at the bottom of this screen.

Here is a summary of my issue. This is my game rig, so 80% of the time I am gaming on it, and 20% I am browsing the internet, or posting/reading Overclockers.net :bday: I infrequently get BSOD 0x00000124, meaning in two weeks this has happened twice. The first time on this rebuild was 11/19/2012, then again yesterday, 11/30/2012, so 11 days apart. I originally built this system with the current mobo, cpu, and memory in November 2010. With the exception of the SSD drive, video card, and operating system, everything else remains the same. On 11/17/2012 I rebuilt both my rig and my wife's game rig with Windows 8 Professional. Keep in mind this BSOD issue happened on my previos Windows 7 Pro install as well. My machine is not overclocked at all.

My wife and I currently play Rift, and have had several days off over the last two weeks. We are gaming for an average of 10 hours per day during our time off. Besides Mumble and a couple other programs, such as Core Temp 1.0RC4, EVGA Precision X 3.0.4, and Chrome Internet Browser, I have nothing else running. My CPU runs at 25% while in game; CPU temp averages 48-50 degrees Celsius, and GPU runs around 78-80 degrees Celsius.

During the last 12-15 months trouble shooting this random BSOD issue, I have done the following: run memtest for 24 hours on several occasions with no errors; Run Prime95 anywhere from 3 to 8 hours using the 'Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested)' and torture tests set to 8 with no resulting errors. Prime95 runs my CPU temp consistently at ~60-64 degrees Celsius, well above what my system runs at even under heavy gaming loads. I have the latest BIOS version, FH, and the latest drivers for my audio, video, and anything else I can think of. My System and Event logs are free of errors and warnings, with the exception of the crash log. Yesterday's was Event 1001:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa800c712028, 0x00000000fa000000, 0x0000000000400405). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:"

I have the minimdump from the crash on 11/19/2012, and can view details in BlueScreenView, although I will admit the information means nothing to me. I cannot decipher it. The BSOD from yesterday cannot be viewed in BlueScreenView because according to my System logs, Event 1005 happened: "Unable to produce a minidump file from the full dump file."

I have uploaded yesterday's MEMORY.dmp file for you to look at, if that helps. It is a ZIP file located here, ~200MB file. If you need me to upload anything else, please let me know.

That is where things stand. This problem has followed me through fresh OS installs, driver updates, hard drive change, and video card change. I am about to the point of just buying a new mobo, cpu, and memory, but honestly, this system performs very well for my needs, so I really don't want to drop a bunch of cash on a new setup if I can figure out this issue, but I won't deny there is nothing more frustrating than being in the middle of a raid (and I am the main tank), and my PC BSODs.

:facepalm:

Thank you for reading my wall of text, and please let me know what else I can provide to assist. Thank you.

Case: AZZA Hurrican 2000
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, LGA1366
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
CPU cooling: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14
RAM: 12GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Triple Channel Memory Kit CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
Over clocked: none
HD1: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD
HD2: SATA 2.0 Western Digital Green, 1TB
Raid: none
Video card: EVGA GTX580 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce 3072MB GDDR5 PCB PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
Monitor 1: 28" Hanns G HZ281HPB LCD
Monitor 2: 28" Hanns G HG281DPB LCD
Sound: Onboard RealTek 7.1 surround
Power supply: Corsair HX1000W
UPS: CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W
Keyboard: Logitech G510
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO gaming mouse
Headphones: Razer Moray gaming earbuds

Seeing as you have 12GB of RAM installed, the first thing I would try is bumping the QPI/VTT voltage from the default of 1.15V (Auto) to ~1.25V. Then w/ the DRAM frequency set to DDR3-1600, manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings and voltage to 9-9-9-24 and 1.55V. Also perform an advanced search on the forums here for Keyword: 0x124, and User Name: redduc900, as you may find some useful info in my previous posts regarding that STOP error.

Seeing as you have 12GB of RAM installed, the first thing I would try is bumping the QPI/VTT voltage from the default of 1.15V (Auto) to ~1.25V. Then w/ the DRAM frequency set to DDR3-1600, manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings and voltage to 9-9-9-24 and 1.55V. Also perform an advanced search on the forums here for Keyword: 0x124, and User Name: redduc900, as you may find some useful info in my previous posts regarding that STOP error.

Ok, I will print your info and try changing the memory voltage, then report back.

Thank you!

Ok, I believe I have made all the correct changes. I have added pictures of my BIOS settings for before, and after the changes. See below.

I have rebooted and am getting ready to do some gaming, so we'll see how these changes play out. If there is anything else I should investigate for now, please let me know.

Thank you again for the suggestions, and continued assistance.

NOTE: I had the 'Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P)' originally enabled for my Corsair Extreme Memory. I had to disable the profile to make all the changes you suggested.

BIOS settings before changes, pic #1
BIOS1beforesettingchanges.jpg

BIOS settings before changes, pic #2
BIOS2beforesettingchanges.jpg

QPI/VTT voltage to 1.25:
QPI-VTTvoltageto125.jpg

DRAM voltage to 1.54v (I only had the choice of 1.54 or 1.56, no 1.55).
DRAMto154v.jpg

RAM timing to 9-9-9-24:
Timingto9-9-9-24.jpg

Looks good. The only other things I would change are the Vcore from Auto (1.30V) to ~1.15V-1.20V, and Performance Enhance to Normal. You could probably get away w/ also setting the Command Rate from 2T to 1T (2 to 1).

Last edited:
Looks good. The only other things I would change are the Vcore from Auto (1.30V) to ~1.15V-1.20V, and Performance Enhance to Normal. You could probably get away w/ also setting the Command Rate from 2T to 1T (2 to 1).

Ok, I will do that. To clarify on the VCore, you mean the CPU VCore in my second picture?

Thank you.

Ok, here are the additional changes you suggested. See pix below.

Let me know how these look. Please and thank you!

Memory performance enhancement from Turbo to Standard:
Memoryperformanceenhancetonormal.jpg

Memory timing command rate from 2 to 1:
commandratefrom2to1.jpg

CPU VCore from 'Auto' 1.30v to 1.20v:
CPUVcorefrom130vto120v.jpg

They look fine. Vcore and / or VTT may be able to be lowered, but leave them where they're at for the time being.

They look fine. Vcore and / or VTT may be able to be lowered, but leave them where they're at for the time being.

Ok. I sincerely appreciate the assistance today. I will run with these settings for now, and report back later if I have more issues, or if the system seems stable. It could take a couple weeks before I know if it is stable or not, based on the history of BSODs.

Thank you again, redduc900.

Back