• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insulation Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

Does anybody know where I can get a guide to insulating your system for a TEC? I can't find one anywhere. I have a faint idea of what you'd have to do but I don't want to mess up. Spreading Die-electric grease all over my CPU socket without knowing precisely what to do.

I just made a video today about how I went about protecting and insulating a board I setup for a TEC experiment. I'll post it tomorrow if I remember.

How big is your tec? I don't think 4ghz is likely on your E6600 on a tec since not everyone sees that even on phase. I know some people get crazy lucky and get away with it on water but thats not common, at least from what I've seen. But worth a try I guess, wouldn't want to be paying your electricity bill though, will need a big tec. Phase would be much more power friendly and colder. Be sure to tell us how it goes, good luck :)

It's possible. I can boot into LiveCDs and such at 4.40GHz with an E6600 on air. If he's got the same batch, it might be possible to get what he's after.

Just make sure you get like a 300+ watt TEC.

your looking at 165W of heatload from the prosessor max @ 4Ghz.. A REALY big pelt with sutable loop should pull the cooling needs off fine.
YMMV

To be honest.. a cascade and the CPU clocks that come with it would most likely leave 8800GTXs SLIed bottlenecked though :-/

Particle said:
It's possible. I can boot into LiveCDs and such at 4.40GHz with an E6600 on air. If he's got the same batch, it might be possible to get what he's after.

Just make sure you get like a 300+ watt TEC.

4.4ghz on air? Jesus thats awesome, is it orthos stable though? But this is what I mean, it's a very rare case.

No, it'll crash after about 10-20 seconds of torture testing. However, just getting it to POST that high is pretty cool I think.

--

A word on TECs. They're often about 50-60% efficient, meaning that you're going to need something rated for roughly twice your expected heat load just to break even. If you want cool temps, you'll need something really oversized.

An E6600 is designed with a maximum heat load of 65W at default voltage and core speed. It would take quite a bit of over-volting to make it draw 165W.

Last edited:
I've got a video:

I just had the chip out this weekend, but I didn't take a picture of it. Let me see if I can find one of my previous images so I can tell you.

Particle said:
A word on TECs. They're often about 50-60% efficient

Not really. They can be in the 90% range its just a matter of correct volatge. They aren't really meant to be ran at max voltage if you are going for efficiency to begin with. Ie, get a 400w pelt and run at 250w and your efficiency will be great.

Back