• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 4690K paired with ASUS Z97-a Overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmWatts

Hey everyone

I came across this forum when researching info on doing my first ever overclock. I did do a search for past threads on this, but I could not find any answers with my setup. I'm relatively new to PC gaming, and build my PC only a couple months back which was also my first time ever, but tried to buy components with the capability of future overclocking. Because I'm a streamer Id like to get 4-4.2ghz out of the 4690k. I know some go higher but Id like to keep this a mild overclock as safe as possible.

My Specs:
CPU: i5 4690K
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: 8GB G.Skill
MOBO: ASUS 97-a
GPU: GTX960
Storage: 120GB SSD. 1TB HD

I just don't know where to start, and im not entirely sure if Im capable of doing this OC with this setup. If someone can point me in the right direction, or even walk me through this it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

Watts

Thanks for the fast response ATM

No I did not go through the sticky but will get into it right now.

I'm sure you'll have some questions after that, but they'll be more specific for sure :)

To begin with I would check core temps while under full load to see how much head room you might have to overclock. You'll probably be okay since your OC goals are quite modest at this point but better safe than sorry. Checking load temps at stock speeds and voltages is also a good idea as it can alert you to problems with the cooler mounting or TIM application, things people take for granted. Intel Burn Test or Prime95 (I like v. 27.9) are standbys for creating full loads. Also download and install HWMonitor (non pro version). Open HWMonitor and leave it open while you run IBT or Prime95. IBT will heat it up quickly, inside of 5 minutes. Prime95 takes longer to achieve near max load temps, say 20 minutes. These are also standard tools for checking the stability of you overclock settings when you are ready to do that. Finally, download and install CPU-z, a great program for displaying all kinds of info about your system's bios settings and hardware.

Back