• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor Overclock Temperatures Conformation (4.2 GHz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCaNi

Good afternoon,

I am new to the Overclocker's forums and I have a quick question regarding my recently acquired Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor.

What are the ideal idle CPU package temperatures? I am currently idling between 45 - 48 degrees with my full load temperatures reaching 70-75 degrees. Am I safe to say that these temperatures are normal for a 4.2 GHz overclock (closed loop)? My friend who has a Intel® Core™ 6700K @ 4.8 GHz (custom loop) has similiar temperatures and he stated "those temptures are fine"; I feel unconvienced.

This is my first extreme processor and I have never seen temputures like this on any processor (usual idle: 35-40 degrees/usual full load: 60-65 degrees) and it is hard to find a direct answer online.

My system specifcations are stated below:

Computer Specifications:

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Processor: Intel Core i7-6950X Processor @ 4.2GHz
Processor Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED (128 GB) @ 3200MHz
Video Card Configuration: 2x GeForce GTX 1080 (HB/SLI/OC)
Motherboard: Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Primary Hard Drive: Samsung 950 PRO (512GB) (M.2)
Secondary Hard Drive: 4TB Seagate HDD (7200RPM)
Tertiary Hard Drive: 4TB Seagate HDD (7200RPM)
Quaternary Hard Drive: 4TB Seagate HDD (7200RPM)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX (Platinum Certified)
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Any help is appiecated. Thank you in advance.

CaNi :D

Last edited:
Welcome :)

Anything under 90c at load is good although your idle is a tad high (should be around 30c-35c). What program did you use to stress test your overclock ? Were you running your watercooler fans at 100% when you did it ? What voltage are you at now ?

Kinda offtopic, why 128gb RAM ?

Your forgot about the 1500W PSU for a 550W system along with your 128GB of ram question. hehe. :)

Anyway, your idle does seem high, but temps are well within range at peak as Kenrou said. But one quick question, what is 'full load'? Are you talking a stress testing program or playing a game? Either way, that temp is fine, note.

Do you have power savings off so its getting full clocks and voltage at idle? Maybe that is why?

One also can't compare between a 6700K and a 6950X (91W vs 140W)... also different cooler, different case, different ambient temps... so many variables there... ;)

I have a 6950x but its in a massive loop, not a 2x120mm AIO... I idle around

I used Prime95 (v26.6) with custom selected (Min FTT size: 1344/Max FTT size: 1344), Cinebench (R15) and Realbench (v2.43) to stress test. I was running my watercooler fans on the silent profile from within the BIOS; although even if I put my fans on the Turbo preset or to 100% (Manual) my temperatures only differ on idle by 2-3 degrees; my load temperatures are the same. My room temperature is even 20 degrees.

I am currently using these overclock settings with an adaptive voltage: http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/7/

I won a set of the Corsair LED RAM (64GB) at a local LAN in Toronto and I already had a set of the same RAM in my computer, did not want to sell it so I installed it! :clap: My overkill 1500W Corsair PSU I purchased for the same price as a 860i at a clearance sale. :p

Last edited:
Good stuff!! :thup: I wonder if that PSU knows its turned on... :rofl:

No idea what temps should be with custom/one off runs of P95. Cinebench runs for like 30s so, that isn't a great measure either.

What is your ambient temperature? Case and airflow inside?

As we said, temps seem ok as you used some form of P95 on load...gaming is usually much less...

It probably still thinks it is in the box! :D

I just edited my posted; I also use Realbench (v2.43).

My ambient temperature is: 20 degrees. My Corsair Graphite Series 760T case has three fans that have all been replaced with Corsair ML140 PRO LED Red 140mm fans also on the silent preset.

Case airFLOW? What are the fans doing? Should be front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

Back