• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet drops under heavy usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuiiey

Hello my fellow OCFers :attn:

Weirdly ive been having this problem of whenever the internet is under heavy usage, it just drops. Modem displays the internet still connected but all the computers connect will all simultaneously drop connection. Im talking 4/5 computers on youtube, downloading using bandwidth etc. Thought this was a problem which would be the reason cause we were loading the modem but even when it is just me connected and using the bandwidth, the same problem happens. Anyone know how to fix this?

Computers in the house all run Windows 7 Ultimate

Wireless 802.11g

Modem is a Netgear DG834GU v5

Netgear routers are notoriuos overheaters. Check the temps of it.

I had to replace my aunts (not same model) and she does not even use it under heavy load. The white shell was brown on top from heat.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a router issue. Is the router resetting when the internet drops? It might be a good idea to see if there is a newer firmware available for it. It could be a bug in the firmware that is causing an excessive load when using certain services of the router. Are you doing any QoS or using any advanced routing functions besides just your typical port forwarding? I've seen some bugs in router firmware that would max out the CPU on the router from enabling certain features, even something as simple as uPnP.

Hrm....

I had the same problem. Torrents 1.5-2.0mb/s download, uploads around 145kbps.

Net would drop, lights would stay on(on the modem) router was connected and able to be accessed. I would have to reset the modem in order for it to get back online. Had a tech out and he swapped the modem...while we are sitting here talking I fired it up and he seen it do it as well(drops net, but the lights indicate it's still online fine, router is accessible, pc is getting an ip from the router. I tried 2 routers(both netgears, but the one is less than a year old and the other one is the same just newer)

I haven't had a problem lately but haven't been pulling heavy stuff in either.

Thanks for all your replies guys, Oh i forgot to mention that i am on ADSL 2+ speed though my max speed is about 3.8mb/s from speed test. I have terrible lines but this wasn't a recurring problem.

mbentley: Im not to skilled with networking and such, its only used for port forwarding, i dont even know what QoS is:(

It does get very warm, but its not OMG ITS BOILING hot if you get what i mean, more like a dull warmness. Would getting a new modem fix this?

Ive read on whirlpool forums that the newer models reduce the speed and some don't even work on adsl 2+ with the newer drivers.

you reckon if would be worth a shot to get a person to come take a look at it?

Thanks for all your replies guys, Oh i forgot to mention that i am on ADSL 2+ speed though my max speed is about 3.8mb/s from speed test. I have terrible lines but this wasn't a recurring problem.

mbentley: Im not to skilled with networking and such, its only used for port forwarding, i dont even know what QoS is:(

It does get very warm, but its not OMG ITS BOILING hot if you get what i mean, more like a dull warmness. Would getting a new modem fix this?

Ive read on whirlpool forums that the newer models reduce the speed and some don't even work on adsl 2+ with the newer drivers.

you reckon if would be worth a shot to get a person to come take a look at it?

QoS is Quality of Service. You can use it to allow traffic restrictions or priorities for certain applications or ports.

Sounds like when my Conexant-based Zoom 3048-C 56k modem had a broken driver version. (the version bundled with the modem)

Everytime, when I loaded multiple images, it was guaranteed that the internet would die!
And, Windows, in the modem status, would report at least about 20 errors!

It was a buggy driver, like it was written by a 14 year old! :mad:

another reason is you could just be overloading it with too many simultaneous connections. Different routers can handle different amounts of simo-connects.

For example, one that used to totally T-off FIOS customers (i used to work for Verizon as a call center supervisor for a few months) was that one of their Westell Routers had a VERY tiny IPTable and more than 256 simo-connects would kill it. IT Geeks got past it by just putting it in bridge mode and using a better router. Average Joe would call in every day screaming asking why his torrentz were killing his connection every 5 minutes.

another reason is you could just be overloading it with too many simultaneous connections. Different routers can handle different amounts of simo-connects.

For example, one that used to totally T-off FIOS customers (i used to work for Verizon as a call center supervisor for a few months) was that one of their Westell Routers had a VERY tiny IPTable and more than 256 simo-connects would kill it. IT Geeks got past it by just putting it in bridge mode and using a better router. Average Joe would call in every day screaming asking why his torrentz were killing his connection every 5 minutes.

Cheap routers can't handle more than 200 connections ...

my wnr2000v2 was set to 500 via my dd-wrt firmware.

I just raised it to 2000 to see if that helps with my issue of disconnects.

I'll have to pay attention to the downloads next time to see how many connections I have.

my wnr2000v2 was set to 500 via my dd-wrt firmware.

I just raised it to 2000 to see if that helps with my issue of disconnects.

I'll have to pay attention to the downloads next time to see how many connections I have.

HOLY CRAP

I set it to 2000 found 6 large torrents and started them. filled the 2000 slot quick. Set it to 5000. I'm at 2600 now. Lets see if it crashes without reaching the limit or not. If it doesn't I'll be happier than a pig in :censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Last edited:
Hmm... This is interesting.

Just the other day I noticed that while playing COD Black Ops my internet would drop out occasionally, and when this happened the modem would sometimes reset, and other times it wouldn't, but eventually I'd regain connectivity.

I wondered at the time if it had something to do with heat since the modem was getting pretty hot to the touch... Now I'm almost positive of it.

Guess it's time to pick up a new DSL modem.

I didn't figure online gaming really drew that kind of bandwidth though....

Back