• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ip address of my switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a rack of HP Procurve 4000m's they are layer 2 switches (MAC). They also have switch IP's in the management subnet assigned for switch management.

Get a roll over cable, it has two db9 connections and connect it to your serial cable of your laptop and the serial connection on the switch.

Fire up hypertrm and set it to 9600 Bps with Hardware Flow control off and you should be in.

If you need to reset the switch's password go here or here.

As the above post stats, layer 2 switches operate only at layer 2 of the OSI model this means that IP's are not associated with the actual switching within the network, but a managed Layer 2 switch may have an IP associated with it to assist in configuration (ie telnet) A great detailed explanation of Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches can be found at cisco.com

switchip.jpg

Last edited:
And if you are lazy and dont feel like consoling in, The Dude (A great program) should map it out. It is generally good at locating all IPs on the network. It discovered my VLAN IP when i was setting up a catalyst the other day.

Fuzzy I got a question and I might take it to PM's if need be but I have a 4000m that my friend gave me and I've been trying to get into it. I bought a DB9 male/female cable and then have been using a gender changer to try to get into it but with no luck. I try to hyperterminal in but nothing happens. Any ideas?

I am not sure HPs use rollover, though I am told they do. A rollover cable is basically this wire setup:

1->8
2->7
3->6
4->5
5->4
6->3
7->2
8->1

You can get one from ebay or make your own. They're the easiest cable to make.

It would also be found as a Cisco console cable. One end is an RJ45 the other DB9.

Cheator said:
I am not sure HPs use rollover, though I am told they do. A rollover cable is basically this wire setup:

1->8
2->7
3->6
4->5
5->4
6->3
7->2
8->1

You can get one from ebay or make your own. They're the easiest cable to make.

Thanks then I'm gonna return this cable to newegg and pick one up off ebay. I would make it but I dont' have any cable making supplies. Thanks for the help.

I answered this via PM, but I think it is important to let others know that Cisco uses a Serial Rollover Cable and HP uses a Null Modem Cable.

A pinout is available here

It is possible to make a pinout that interfaces with the rj45 converters and a db 9 converter.

Thanks for letting me know. I knew Rollover was propriatary but i had heard that other companies used rollover, for some strange reason. Now i know.

Back