• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A Opteron Worth Buying? If so where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Someone fill me in please still new to the oc game but learnin:
But beware! A newer stepping has arisen that is giving off similar clocks to the San Diegos 3700+/4000+ (peaking out at ~2.8GHz). Even if you buy a 144 with this newer stepping though, 2.8GHz with 1MB of L2 for less than $200 is a steal
What is that all about does that mean as the next batch is produced the will not clock as well?

I *think* the general trend of steppings is that the first stepping is good, while the second is a little worse, and the third is even better than the first, while the fourth is even worse than the second. I don't think this is a science, but I suppose some product lines have fit that description.

There's no reason for me to think that the second stepping 939 Opterons will be bad overclockers, but all I've heard is that the first stepping overclocks very well, so I'd rather go with what I know.

i have an optie 148 on the way w/ all my new parts -
DFI Ultra D, eVGA 7800 GT, thermaltake typhoon, 2x1GB Ballistix DDR500

will post some results soon after i get everything dropped off at my doorstep by big brown

Looking forward to it kwago! :)

I wonder how a 939 Opteron 146 overclocked to north of 3GHz with using the stock memory divider would compare to a SanDiego FX57... That would be fun to compare! :p

kwago said:
i have an optie 148 on the way w/ all my new parts -
DFI Ultra D, eVGA 7800 GT, thermaltake typhoon, 2x1GB Ballistix DDR500

will post some results soon after i get everything dropped off at my doorstep by big brown

nice choices on hardware

I hate waiting to find out if its going to clock/perform well. I should just buy one Where is the best place to get my hands on one where there is not a list and if none how long do you all think untill they will be available?
I am waiting for the new rev. 2 DFI sli-dr to show up at door anyway..........

Well, while I'm waiting for my preordered 144 to come through I have ordered up a Venice 3000+. Hope that will tide me over till the Opteron shows up.

This is why I hate being in Canada. The only retailers up here are still looking at a week at least before their first stock shows up and I just know they're not going to get any of the CABNE chips. I'm a sad panda :eh?:

NoMeD said:
This is why I hate being in Canada. The only retailers up here are still looking at a week at least before their first stock shows up and I just know they're not going to get any of the CABNE chips. I'm a sad panda :eh?:
CABNE's have probably long gone unless it's old stock
I should get my 144 tomorrow
others from the same shipment have gotten CABYE 0536GPMW so I'll probably be getting that. These were shipped from amd in singapore on the 7th so from that to the distributor to the retailer isn't too bad

man, if they had the 146 I'd buy it right now..... probably me and a thousand other people.

BBigJ said:
shole01, where did you order from?
I'm in Sydney, Australia.
It was bought from a retailer here though took a few days
ordered on the 1st
shipped from amd singapore on the 7th
arrived in the country on the 10th and shipped out to me today

edit: mine is also a 0536GPMW
last 4 digits on the last line are 0116 but probably doesn't mean much

Back