• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is ATX a standard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble

Hi, I have a pretty useless rig and I'm going to buy a new mobo + processor. But I'm not sure if they will fit in my current atx case. My case is from a IBM Pentium II MMX 300PL 6892-200. With an IBM mobo inside, that has integrated sound, network and display adapter. So what really worries me is that if I'll get a new mobo will all the slots fit to their plases in my case or do I need to get a new case as well?
Also I'm not sure do I need to get a new power in anycase, I think it's 12V..

well, ATX is a standard but a few OEM's (like Dell) use propriatary componets (meaning you have to replace the part by getting it from them)

looking at what was in that case the current PSU might not be powerful enough depending on what your going to upgrade to so it might be worth buying a new PSU anyway.

Thanks, here is some information about a mobo + processor combo, I'm trying to buy from a finnish new auction.

P III 550 MHz processor /w cooler. Asus P3B-F jumperfree, slot 1 mobo. With 4 x Dimm memory slots (168 pin), AGP 1x/2x, 6 x PCI, 1 x ISA, 2 x USB.

When I asked him about the PSU he said, that the power should be at least 10mA 5V (for standy), but if I would wan't to use Wake-On-Lan, keyboard startup ect. it should be at least 720 mA + 5VSB.

I haven't gotten time to check my rigs PSU yet, but I will later tonight. The auction will close tomorrow morning (local time) and the price is currently about 70 €.

The ports on the back panel should match up. With the exception of some very old and very new boards, ATX motherboards have the ports in the same place on the back.

Back