• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it ok to use the non-athlon/p4 psu on a nforce2 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smallghost

Registered
Hi all, I just built a system for a friend of mine. He is using an old power supply (the one with one power plug) other than the new type (two power plugs: one big, one small). He is using an Abit NF7 nforce2 board. Is it safe to run a new AMD system on an old power supply? Thanks in advance.

As long as the PSU is ATX it won't matter...and the PSU will have to be ATX or they wouldn't be able to hook it up to the MB...

the Nf7 does not use the 5Volt line
to run the processor. These boards use the 12 Volt line.
All is well and will work --- BUT the single 12 Volt line is carrying
9 Amp. With the second connector plugged in there will
be 3 X 12volt lines - each one only carrying 3 Amp.
I understand the ATX Connector has a running capacity
of 6 Amp per contact - so 9 will be pushing the limit.

I have a Abit N-force2 - and an old PSU. I have a
DC Current Meter and was shocked by the measurements.

On the bright side - if you can wield a soldering iron - the
extra connector can be retro-fitted easily enough.

Bottom line - it will work as a "get by" but I would not
overclock with it.

Hello,

that's was the question I had in mind. I have an old Meridian Tehnology PSU that had served me well a long time. I is an ATX version 2.01 power supply so it doesn't have an 12v P4 connector like an 2.03 ATX PSU has. My motherboard is Soltek 75FRN2-L and the reading for +12v is around 11.7 but the system has been quite stable with an Athlon T-Bred B 2100+ (1734Mhz) overclocked at 2202Mhz with voltage set at 1.675v from the initial 1.6v. Here's Motherboard monitor report:

| CPU | Case | Socket | Core 0 | Core 1 | +3.3 | +5.00 | +12.00 | -12.00 | -5.00 |
| 42°C | 32°C | 35°C | 1.58 V | 4.08 V | 3.33 V | 5.03 V | 11.73 V | -12.44 V | -4.94 V |

Would improvizing (soldering it directly at the PCB of the PSU or using an adapter, ETC...) an P4 type connector to the motherboard help a bit for the +12v value or add to the stability?

Hi,
mmmm.
I don't actually know . But - since you are happy
to use soldering irons (i.e you are technical)- a check
of the voltage drop across the 12 Volt line to the ATX
connector will give a good indication of the improvement.
If the voltage difference between a unconnected 12 Volt
HardDrive tail (yellow wire) and the yellow wire on the ATX
connector is 0.2 to 0.3 volts or more - then a large
difference can be made. A second cable should half the
voltage drop, and a three wires should cut it by two thirds
(all calculations as a guess).

Be careful :)

EDIT : oops - Stability ,,,... if it is perfectly stable now - then
no improvement .

calculations

Here are the calculations - IF volt drop is 0.3
AND the current carried is 9 Amp.

V=IR
0.3 = 9R
R = 0.3/9 = 0.033333 Ohms

two wires (Rt is resistance total, R1 and R2 the resistance of each wire)
1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2
1/Rt = 1/0.033333 + 1/0.033333
1/Rt = 60
Rt = 1/60
Rt = 0.0166666 Ohms

Voltage across is
V = IR
V = 9 times 0.0166666 Ohms
V = 0.15 Volts

Because of the very small resistances here
Your Milage May Vary

i've seen people use psu's that were not amd or p4 recommended and had a lot of problems with them such as their computers randomly shutting down and stuff.. but others have worked just fine.. so i guess its the quality of the psu that really matters

OK, I've just measured the +12v on an unused molex connector and it's 11.96v while the Motherboard Monitor measured value varies around 11.67v-11.73v. Knowing this and considering couchpotatos advice I'm opting for an additional P4 type connector. My plan is to cut a four cell piece of an ATX connector (from dead PSU). It seems it will fit on the P4 type connector. I don't think I will get a chance to strip an orignal P4 type connector anytime soon...

I did attach new P4 type connector on my PSU-s PCB and... is seems it helped a little. The readings from board sensors are 11.73v-11.8v instead of 11.67v-11.73v before the mod. It's ok my system is stable so I'm not going to sweat about this one. Just one more question...

couchpotato, If I understand well, by doing this I have unloaded the burden off the only 12v rail on the ATX. The current now flows thru three wires instead of just one. As I understand this is the main benefit? Is this correct?

Yes - exactly .

I have a Tyan 2460 and the ATX connector has a
tendancy to burn contacts at high currents on the
5 Volt lines . These run at 6 Amp constant - and with
double the cables the voltage drop changed by a
similar value to yours.

That's your first Power Mod - What's next ? :D

Well, maybe I will desolder the ATX connector form the motherboard and solder the PSU wires directly on it :D

Back