• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 550w PSU not enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I have a 3900x and a Vega 64 GPU...

Got a weird shutdown issue - goes completely stone dead if I try to play PUBG and stream at the same time. Ran fine for a while.

My Killa-a-watt is reading 430w peak and I am running a Corsair HX550W Gold PSU. Could it have degraded over the past month to where now its shutting down on peak load? Any way to tell?

Did it shutdown at the same time as the peak reading? The Kill-a-watt may not have reacted fast enough to record the spike that shut it down. Just a guess, mind you, but maybe. If not you have another issue. A 430 watt draw should present no problem for that PSU.

If you KaW is showing 430W at the wall (under 400w actual), then that PSU should be fine. All companies suggest way more psu than you need. But at stock, a functional and quality 550w unit will handle that system.

Does it happen when playing other games? What about trying a cpu stress test and GPU stress test at the same time...does it still happen then? See if it's really a power issue... so far it hoses in one game while streaming.

OT: Remember the good 'ol days when people would buy a case that came with a 450 watt (Ha!) no name PSU? Then load it with a R295x2, a half dozen HDDs, FX 8300 @4.7 GHz, two ODDs, 4x4 GB of RAM and a sound card-then wonder why the rig would shut down?
:rofl:

OT: Remember the good 'ol days when people would buy a case that came with a 450 watt (Ha!) no name PSU? Then load it with a R295x2, a half dozen HDDs, FX 8300 @4.7 GHz, two ODDs, 4x4 GB of RAM and a sound card-then wonder why the rig would shut down?

"But it's brand new"

Is turning of all at once or is it powering down do to the motherboard failure or overheating processor. Run the CPU with prime95 for motherboard check. Run both prime95 and gaming for PSU check. Check processor temperature wen testing.

I know PUBG isn't all that stressful, but I'm having a hard time believing that is enough PSU for the rig. It probably depends on overclocking though, if you're only using the default 250W power target on the Vega64 and the default 142W power target for the 3900X then that's in line with your 430W kill-a-watt reading, roughly.

If you're increasing your GPU power target and a manual OC on the CPU, then I could see you exceeding 550W pretty easily.

As a side note, anyone else wish the Kill-A-Watt had a simple logging feature, like displaying max and min Wattage.

Have you ruled out a software/windows issue? Perhaps you could run an alternative set of programs to rule out software problems?

Back