• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my fx 6300 overclock good/safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your voltages and temps are quite safe. Should not reduce the lifespan of your CPU much if any. You will have moved on to something else well before that.

So who wants to take bets on how long the motherboard is going to last?

You were taking chances at stock running that board, but overclocked, you're going to cook your vrm's quite fast and I would mentally prepare to lose that motherboard sooner than later.

You were taking chances at stock running that board, but overclocked, you're going to cook your vrm's quite fast and I would mentally prepare to lose that motherboard sooner than later.

I was kind of worried about that too. Only a 4 phase power board. If OP puts fans to blow on the VRM heatsink and on the backside of the socket then it might last a good while.

Well ****.. I've been running at 4.4Ghz for weeks and did not realize that little thing Lol.. Reverted to stock settings in bios now :mad:
Seems that i'm going to have to upgrade to intel sooner than I thought..

As long as the temps are OK you'll be fine IMO. Yes it's a 4 phase board but you're only running a 6 core CPU. A mild OC shouldn't be too much for it.

As long as the temps are OK you'll be fine IMO. Yes it's a 4 phase board but you're only running a 6 core CPU. A mild OC shouldn't be too much for it.

at 4.4Ghz it never once was throttling due to temperatures, though the vrm/mosfets feel pretty hot to the finger..

anyways, I thought to myself, screw it, and ordered myself a nice upgrade, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Intel i5 6600K along with some Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 lol

I'd imagine quite a while as I've got an m5a97 that's been running the OC in my sig for close to 5 years now.

I'd imagine quite a while as I've got an m5a97 that's been running the OC in my sig for close to 5 years now.

Do you have m5a97 LE, R2.0, EVO??? The LE is the worst of the bunch. People get SO defensive about this. The board is not intended for overclocking (even though it "can" doesnt mean you "should"). 4 phase VRM that has no cooling is likely the biggest issue. If you're actively cooling the VRM's you would probably be ok.

The LE is the worst for sure... Last I saw, not even a sink on the VRMs... But I wouldn't be surprised if it took a beating for a while... The m5a97s are pretty tanky... Unless CD gets ahold of em :p

Do you have m5a97 LE, R2.0, EVO??? The LE is the worst of the bunch. People get SO defensive about this. The board is not intended for overclocking (even though it "can" doesnt mean you "should"). 4 phase VRM that has no cooling is likely the biggest issue. If you're actively cooling the VRM's you would probably be ok.

It's a 1st gen m5a97 and not an LE, R2.0 or EVO. I'm not actively cooling the VRM's however my rear 120mm sits just to the side of the VRM and it helps pull heat away extremely well.

It's a 1st gen m5a97 and not an LE, R2.0 or EVO. I'm not actively cooling the VRM's however my rear 120mm sits just to the side of the VRM and it helps pull heat away extremely well.

Those aren't bad boards, but do be mindful they are not made for moon shots... I worried about mine when pushing a 4130 past 4.5ghz.

Back