• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my new 6950 broken? am i useing it wrong? plz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hixy

Hallo,

So, this week i got my new 6950 and installed it right away.
first thing that happend was that the PC would not boot, it would blow all fan's to a 100%, then give the bios beep, and then not show anything on the monitors. after it did boot up i ofc first downloaded the driver, i got noted by some one that there was a hotfix, so i downloaded the hotfix for my driver two.

then when i started playing wow (everything on ultra), i noticed (using fraphs) that my FPS was still at 15 in SW. this is the same as my old 4850, so that sucked....

so i went and did some tests in the CCC, turned up some graphics, turned some off.

funny enought, it did not help at all.

so, wondering what to do next, i started to play some other games to see there FPS.
- BFBC 2 20 FPS
- hot pursuit 2010 15-20 FPS, this kind of scared me, since i remeber quite clearly i used to have 25-30 FPS on my 4850 in hot pursuit...

while searching some more in the CCC i saw that the heat went up to 75C while gaming.
now i must honestly say i dont know mutch about the heat a GPU normaly makes, it still kind of scared me and i could not find anything about it useing google.

all and all this makes me verry sad, so in my sadness i logged back into wow with CCC settings on as low as posible. to my suprise i saw that all my fronts where completey diffrend, all the fronts in wow looked like they had -10 AA.
so i turned the settings up again. no improvement.
i checked other games, they did not have this problem.
so i reinstalled wow into anoter folder, it helped.
so i gess that was not in my vid card.

i did not overclock this card or flashed it to 6970.

this makes me pretty sad, i get the feeling my 4850 was working better in some games. i got better FPS in split second and BFBC 2, but i lost FPS in wow and hot pursuit.

I realy hope some one is able to make some sense out of this all.
tnx for any reply you might give.

PS. if my english is a bit off, im sorry.

my setup is.
CPU: intell Q6600
motherboard: ASRock4core1333-FullHD
GPU: Radeon HD 6950
mem: 6GB 2x double channal (1GB+1GB and 2GB+2GB) DDR2
PSU: Coolermaster GX 650W
Windows 7 64-bits

You gained FPS in BFBC2 because the game is able to utilize all 4 cores of your CPU,the other games you listed cannot,and only use 1 or 2 cores.What I'm getting at is ,your CPU is holding the card back.

Download MSI afterburner and leave it running,while playing WOW or something else,and monitor GPU load.

And 75C is a normal temperature.

Welcome to the boards.

Yeah first thing to check is to make sure the GPU is running full tilt. If its not running 100% (check using MSI afterburner or GPU-z) both of these apps have a monitoring tool. Run the game for a bit and alt tab out. Look at it and if the GPU utilization isn't at 100% there is something holding you back. Screen res, AA, all settings cranked ingame probably won't affect CPU nearly as much as it does on the GPU so you should get some benefit from that if you haven't already.

WOW is CPU dependent mainly. GPU really doesn't affect it too much. The other 2 games should get a boost, either way.

Is the CPU OCed at all? A Q6600 running at 2.4Ghz really isn't helping the situation out at all and its probably your bottleneck. Ocing it to 3.2-3.6Ghz would be ideal if you have proper cooling setup.

depending on the game your never going to see 100% gpu use, like call of duty black ops or any call of duty for that matter. So dont let that throw you off.

First thing is, WoW is specific to the zone especially if your in a city with alot of people. Also if you have some malfunctioning addons it will cause tremendous fps latency or drops.

Download a program called CCleaner, uninstall your ATi drivers from control panel, dont reboot and run CCleaner. Reboot after CCleaner and then reinstall the drivers and see if the performance picks up.

Your GPU is rather hot, I always ALWAYS adjust my fan speed to around 50-60% in CCC and leave it. it usually hovers around 45-50c while gaming.

75C gaming is not so hot, though its warmer then mine. My card is running fan speed between 40-45% during gaming giving me low 60's at the most when its full tilt. Thats with my shaders unlocked and a 900/1400 OC on the card (default voltage).

Back