• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the juice worth the price Furyx vs 980 ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wifeaggro

i am building a new system. the bottom line is the $$ worth the difference now with sapphire fury x dropping to 599$ vs the 675 $ for an entry lvl 980 ti. I plan on using a Acer 34 in ch 1440 with this new build. so to go invidia the price difference in total i 400 $ between monitor and card vs the amd route which is much cheaper.

it looks like a 10% gain in fps in 4 k gaming. G sync monitors are outrageous i mean i feel kinda like Nvidia is robbing people with this. the 980 ti is 100 4 more but the monitiors are 30% more across the board. the gsync 34 in panel is 320 dollars more

I had a Fury X and 980Ti at one time. Now I only have the 980Ti. The cooling of the Fury X wasn't up to my expectations. My 980Ti with reference air cooler design is quieter under load.

As for future resistance, I've already seen a game consume more than 4GB RAM running 3440x1440 ultra-wide. If I had less, performance would be hit or I would have to reduce quality. Regular 1440p should be less affected.

I had a Fury X and 980Ti at one time. Now I only have the 980Ti. The cooling of the Fury X wasn't up to my expectations. My 980Ti with reference air cooler design is quieter under load.

As for future resistance, I've already seen a game consume more than 4GB RAM running 3440x1440 ultra-wide. If I had less, performance would be hit or I would have to reduce quality. Regular 1440p should be less affected.

Apparently AMD has redone the pump in the Fury x its quieter supposedly and cooler. Did you use the fury and 980 in the same PC?

Apparently AMD has redone the pump in the Fury x its quieter supposedly and cooler. Did you use the fury and 980 in the same PC?

Yes, same PC. My sample of the Fury X did have the early pump with high pitched whine, but that wasn't the only noise. The single fan pushing through the tiny radiator was also very noisy under load. It really could have used a double size rad so you can reduce the fan speeds to something more sane.

Just forget the Fury X and save some more cash. I had a regular Fury for a while and the only issue with it was how long it was (12"). I had to transplant the entire system to an old weird case I had laying around. Other than that it was fairly quiet and, while not as powerful as the 980Ti I have now, it was way powerful enough for this 1440p plus setup. The Sapphire Fury I had is still going for $500 and you'll save even more with Freesync vs. G-Sync on the monitor side.

Have seen Fury "non-X" for around $500 on sale lately. Freesync monitor might be $100 less than a G-sync. $200 bucks for a good water loop? and the cost benefit disappears.

OTHO - AMD/ATI driver support isn't updated as often as Nvidia.

Future proof wise there isn't any.

Have seen Fury "non-X" for around $500 on sale lately. Freesync monitor might be $100 less than a G-sync. $200 bucks for a good water loop? and the cost benefit disappears.

OTHO - AMD/ATI driver support isn't updated as often as Nvidia.

Future proof wise there isn't any.
Why are you adding "$200 bucks for a good water loop"? What has that got to do with this thread?

Why are you adding "$200 bucks for a good water loop"? What has that got to do with this thread?

Sorry if I didn't make this easier to understand.

If someone wanted to do an inexpensive water loop for cooling - the "mad scientist" answer:

R9 Nano Alphacool Backplate $100 (Linky)
R9 Nano Cost (Newegg) $479 (Linky)
Swiftech H240-X (Swiftech) $120 (Linky)

Total Cost $700.

I didn't know how to "cost" the $200 water loop. It clearly is $220. The "newer R9 Nanos" have been rumored to be enhanced (as well as the Tri-X). Source (Linky)

Since the EVGA 980 Ti with a price of $690 (Linky)

Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X $700 (Linky)

It isn't "equal" to or a "better than" - equation. (Sorry if I didn't make this more clear.)

There is an inexpensive XFX R9-FURY-4QFA RADEON R9 FURY X for $600 after rebate card. (Linky) I may NOT how to do math, however I'm pretty sure that is a $100 savings!

I have had several games hit 4.5gb/5gb on 1080p (Dying Light, XCom 2, GTA5 and others) let alone 4K, my bad i suppose for always setting the game to max settings... Then again that's why we spent £500+ on a top of line GPU right :D

Last edited:
Back