• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Winchester a bug or hardware limitation in the K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Is the Winchester a bug or hardware limitation in the K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra

Hello all i am in the process of building my rig and my last thing that im worried about is what nforce 4 ultra motherboard to get. Ive been building computers for 4+ years and researched this topic to no end in the forums and reading reviews. I have basically narrowed the mainboards down to DFI and MSI. I would go with DFI just seems to have way to many things to tweak and play with and im just not that crazy an OCer. I would like to go with MSI but im kinda scared about this Winchester bug that doesnt allow people to get past 220 on the HTT (or w/e you call the FSB now). Is this a confirmed bug and will be hopefully fixed in a later bios or is this a hardware limitation and will never be fixed?

If you know of any other incompatibilites for the other components i have picked please let me know.

AMD64 3000 Winchester
X800XL
1 Gig of PC 3200 (2 X 512) Corsair
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition
Raptor WD740GD

Thanks in Advance,
Eddie

I have almost the exact same setup you do with a Neo4-F (same as platinum minus some goodies) and it has the bug with my 3000+ Winchester. Can't go over 220 FSB. Period.

I am in desperate need of help too, I hope that the Venice cores magicaly solve this and it's not the mobo.

Its a very common problem with winnies and Neo4 boards, I have not kept up with the problem here of late. But i think some have found work arounds at MSI forums Here

These are good questions. If I had my choice again I would go with DFI. The bug seems related to CBBID steppings more then others. I have the problem right at 219, 219 works and 220 doesn't. If I switch to 3x HTT multi, problem is then gone and I can switch to 4x in windows. Some others report having to go as low as 2x. I have to believe it can be fixed with a BIOS update, judging by the newest BIOS with non SLI Neo4's and the other NF4 boards by the other manufactures. Therefore it's a question of when I hope, and not hardware.

Also MSI seems less talked about in forums then the other boards if you like that kind of tech support and feeling of community.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=75897.0

This thread has a lot of user opinion on the issue and MSI in general.

That thread has been on the edge of getting locked down or deleted. There is a problem, and im sure MSI is working on it. MSI has tech support, there forum is user to user based and no MSI people are there just mods that dont work for MSI.

There is a real problem with Neo4 + Winnies!!!!

You should be safer with DFI. If you look my sig you will see my brave NF7 back to work until the Venices show up :D

I used to run my Neo2 with a 3200+ Winny @ 285 HTT.
I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Suma.

Well, it sounds like MSI has struck again. Look, do not expect a bios fix as MSI doesn't seem able or willing to make such bios adjustments. You might want to also check into the Epox board as it's a bargain next to the DFI. Good luck.

Suma said:
I used to run my Neo2 with a 3200+ Winny @ 285 HTT.
I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Suma.
The Neo2 runs the winnie just fine its the neo4 that has the problem

That thread has been on the edge of getting locked down or deleted.

Yes.... and that is sad, another reason why I said go DFI. We surely don't want disgruntled customers speaking their mind, and upsetting the fanboys... :rolleyes: Half the people commenting in that thread don't even have a Neo4 they just love MSI and are not listening to some real issues the MSI boards are having, Suma here in this thread is a good example(no offense), going on about how his Neo2 works great. BTW I'm not trying to argue with you I just don't like how that thread has been going...

Thanks for the response guys you have been very helpful... i just read a chaintech review and decided for about 75% less id just go with it for now and hope that msi comes out with a fix later and maybe ill get the board later..
Eddie

rseven said:
Well, it sounds like MSI has struck again. Look, do not expect a bios fix as MSI doesn't seem able or willing to make such bios adjustments. You might want to also check into the Epox board as it's a bargain next to the DFI. Good luck.

Believe me: Neo4 + Winnie is a no-go after 220-230 HTT!!!!!

See here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=370408

http://www.rhcf.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000132;p=0

MSI say they do not support overclock so this issue have had no answer so far. I think they messed up with this board and now are hidden behind their policies...

:argue:

Last edited:
I just ordered the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI, and a 3000+ venice and a hyper 6 heatsink. I'll post results of everything when I get it all running.

Me too. But I might wait until August for a X2 ... or not. Waiting for others to confirm the good news. :)

Just got the mobo, enermax psu, hyper 6, and one 6600GT in the mail today. I ordered everything from chiefvalue.com on May 2 and it came today on May 4. I didnt get my venice cpu yet which I ordered from Monarchcomputers. Its supposed to arrive on May 6.
I noticed that my mobo didnt come with the D bracket or the Firewire brackets. Did your guys come with this?

GOt the system built and I havent had much time for overclocking. I got my 3000+ running at 2.0 ghz right now. 230HT*9. CPU voltage at 1.37. WHich memory speed in bios do you select for 1:1. My DDR400 ram keeps running at like 100MHz for some reason.

Back