• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there really a huge advantage switching from...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

a Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 to a Vantec Tornado 80mm?

It's only like 9 more cfm and the Tornado is much louder.

dxiw said:
they are both screamers..

Yeah but Vantec is like 10 db higher. I'm gonna get one, need something good for OCing 2200, and I want the least amount of noise possible. Sf2 has a built in rheostat and temp controlled fan speed...

No no no. I am using air cooling. This is not going to be some water cooled monstrosity. I need to move this comp around, take it places.

Also just for clarification on the decible system...

A 30 db fan is twice as loud as a 20 db fan, a 50 db fan is twice as loud as a 40 db fan, 85 is twice as loud as 75.

So, is the tornado worth it? I think not. I could just get the smart fan 2 which is a little more than half as loud and only 10 or so less cfm, with built in rheostat and temp controlled thingy.

I have both and the tornado gives at least 2-3' C cooler temps. I use the SFII though because the noise was killing me. I'll switch back when I get a rheo.

I would say no. The vantec is louder and has no features compared to the Smartfan. The features on the smartfan vastly outweighs the 9cfm gain from the vantec.

You'll find that the Tt smartfan has the best noise to cfm ratio among all the 80mm fans.

Back