• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hi,

I am using GTX 1080TI from MSI, which is using "SMART" cooling system.

I bought it 2 years + 3 months agoo and i got an doubt/problem.

Is this possible that my Thermopads and thermal grease on GPU core are dead already?

I am asking, because my GPU reaches 58 - 60oC with out any usage. just when Chrome + few taskbars are open, when Windows starts, it has 57oC

The most werid thing is that, when GPU is loaded to 100%, the TEMp are around 75oC

Last edited:
Perhaps fan curve got modified with updated driver? Causing higher idle temps because fan turns slower when idle or not at all..?

To answer the general question, you are expected to gain a few degrees if you re-apply thermal paste.
55c idle sounds funky, I would think maybe the heat sink doesn't sit properly, but if your load temperatures are good, then it's probably not the case.
Can you download MSI Afterburner and check the following when the card idles: GPU Clock, Memory Clock, GPU Usage, GPU Voltage, Fan Speed?

Hi, again, i don't understeand why but on the "fresh" start, when literally i did NOTHING on PC, the temperatures was 27oC,

But after 3 mins of usage, this is what happend:
B53eLKy.png

Here is the screen of MSI afterburner: [screenshoot was taken 1 min later than GPU-z screen] look how temp grow up so fast:
3h7vaYC.png

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Ha guys i found it, look here: [screen taken by retsrat withh 2 app used:]
YHZkanM.png

And here is after i open Chrome browser [look what happens with core] :
gPVKQIx.png

Can someone epxlain me:
What the fk is chrome doing wiht my GPU?

From the cooling side of things, I think the heat sink is working as intended and if you set a custom fan profile of let's say 40% at 50c then your idle temps will be fine.
I think the only question is why at idle the card consumes 20% TDP, has memory at max speed, has core at maximum (non boosted) speed... It's as if it's being utilized by something.

Oh, it's utilized by Chrome... it's normal. Maybe it has hardware acceleration enabled, or maybe the NVIDIA control panel configures it to run in high performance mode. But if Chrome is closed and only background apps run, it should be at minimum clocks.

Hi again,

I found the reason of this sick core usage and memory usage, You wouldnt belive.

This was Flash player, installed by chrome, i disabled accelration but it did not help.
The thing second what i did, is i disabled by OVERALL adobe flash player in chrome.
It worked, Cores are back to normal:
BYbjV8B.png

I don't think you should be worried about it, the card is designed to sustain much higher voltages and loads when gaming. If you don't want those temps you can just set a custom curve so the fan would be active and it should then idle at about 40c or less.

I was just wondering about the GPU core clock, how it was possible to recive such high clock, when the system is fresh and i formated my windows around 3 days agoo.
I know that this graphic card is for extrema eGaming, this was the reason why i bought it, but still i did not like the TEMP on the clean system.

I have 1 more question, is there any way to check GPU in windows 7 taskbar? I know that, win10 have such an option, to check GPU usage on each of the programs, does win7 have it? Or is there any other way to check it?

I would check out your card and blow any dust out of the cooler. Definitely could benefit form replacing the thermal past, but as was said probably only a few degrees.

The problem is fixed, there was 2 reasons of this werid idle temperatures
1-> Adoble Flash player wokring all the time at chrome and using my Graphic card
2-> Drivers of GPU, after fresh format i was using March 2018 Drivers, i ddin't even know they are so outdated, i downloaded them form MSI website, yesterday i got new ones and everyting is back to normal.

Back