• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ISSUE] 2070 Super w/ g12 crashing with overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madoka

Hello, long time lurker, never had an issue to pop up like this and I'm in kind of uncharted territory personally.

I have a Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce 3x that I had flashed the Aorus bios on and had stable at +80/+1000 core/mem. Recently, I purchased a Kraken G12 bracket and an x73 aio and put it on the card. The g12 has 1 fan that cools off one side of the card. This resulted in drastic decreases in operating temp; I went from 62-65c after a few hours of gaming with fans set to 100%, to 41c max through 1 hour stress test. As we know, these cards are temp throttled pretty hard so I obviously am in love with the core temps.

My issue is I can't game with an overclock now, which I would really like to have because it give me an additional 10-20 fps of wiggle room for some settings to maintain a smooth 4k@60 in an mmo.

I can bench with +150/+800, and beat the second place bench in superposition while I was at it. When I open up my game though at a +100/+400, I crash after about 5-10 minutes. So of course I set memory oc to 0 and left core where it was. Same deal. So far I can maintain +80/+0 for at least an hour, but I'm just confused as to why the gpu is crashing now at core oc's that were stable 20c higher. I understand not being able to OC mem now due to lack of heatsinks(I have little ones on the way

I'm thinking maybe because to the card, fanspeed would be reading 0 so maybe it's freaking out about that, but that wouldn't make sense to throw out at temps that low. Anyone got any ideas?

So currently you have no sinks on the VRAM but you did before when (I assume) you were using the stock cooler?

Correct. It's stable at stock settings, but even if i only OC the core, I still crash. and I've come to find out that I'm not even stable at +50mhz now. I would think that putting an OC on the core wouldn't be an issue since my temps are so low in that area

Can you restore the stock cooler? Are the thermal pads in good enough shape to allow you to try that?

Are you sure the crashes are being caused by the GPU? Can you list your system components, please? CPU and cooling, motherboard, RAM, case, PSU, storage.

Does the video card have a modded bios? Did you increase the power limits for the card in vbios to support the overclock? Did you change GPU drivers recently?

Sorry, just fishing.

Back