• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with PC crashing, unable to boot Windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
I have a PC on my hands with a problem i cannot figure out.

The PC consists of:

I5 6700K
AsRock 170m Extreme4
2x 8Gb Corsiar Vengeance DDR4
Samsung EVO SSD M.2
EVGA GTX1070
Corsair ATX750
Watercooled CPU and GPU.

The pc had been running strong for a good 2-3months since it was made. Suddenly one day, it crashes, BSOD with Windows 10, the guy tries to make it work, no luck, then moves on to reinstalling W10 clean. Still BSOD.

Now i have the machine, and i have so far tried the following:
Reinstall W10 on M.2 SSD, it will often install, and after reboot, it will BSOD, sometimes it makes it as far the setup of Windows 10 (language, keyboard layout ect.) then during that it will BSOD
Tried to install on different SATA SSD, same result.

Removed M.2, same result

Updated Bios

Tried with one Ram stick at a time, same result.

Tried with onboard GPU, same result.

By my own theory, this tells me theres a CPU or Motherboard issue. I plan on testing CPU in different motherboard, and a different CPU in the current motherboard.

The errors when windows BSOD are random, and not ever really the same.

Could this be CPU error or Motherboard, or any of the components already tested?

Could also be the power supply giving intermittent voltage or whatever it is doing. I've had that before.

But yeh keep doing what you are doing, test all the components and hopefully you come across what is causing the issue.

Not much help but thought I should mention the psu.

Could also be the power supply giving intermittent voltage or whatever it is doing. I've had that before.

But yeh keep doing what you are doing, test all the components and hopefully you come across what is causing the issue.

Not much help but thought I should mention the psu.

I have thought about the PSU, but i have never had BSOD from PSU, rather a simple cut out. The voltage looks good on the motherboard, but i will keep testing.

I have a PC on my hands with a problem i cannot figure out.

The PC consists of:

I5 6700K
AsRock 170m Extreme4
2x 8Gb Corsiar Vengeance DDR4
Samsung EVO SSD M.2
EVGA GTX1070
Corsair ATX750
Watercooled CPU and GPU.

The pc had been running strong for a good 2-3months since it was made. Suddenly one day, it crashes, BSOD with Windows 10, the guy tries to make it work, no luck, then moves on to reinstalling W10 clean. Still BSOD.

Now i have the machine, and i have so far tried the following:
Reinstall W10 on M.2 SSD, it will often install, and after reboot, it will BSOD, sometimes it makes it as far the setup of Windows 10 (language, keyboard layout ect.) then during that it will BSOD
Tried to install on different SATA SSD, same result.

Removed M.2, same result

Updated Bios

Tried with one Ram stick at a time, same result.

Tried with onboard GPU, same result.

By my own theory, this tells me theres a CPU or Motherboard issue. I plan on testing CPU in different motherboard, and a different CPU in the current motherboard.

The errors when windows BSOD are random, and not ever really the same.

Could this be CPU error or Motherboard, or any of the components already tested?

Yes it could. I had a client last summer whose old Intel Socket 775 computer was exhibiting the same behavior. I tried several times to reinstall Windows but it would crash at the same point of the install every time. I looked the motherboard over and did not see anything suspicious. Then I removed the stock Intel cooler and the problem was evident. Several capacitors were leaking or blown in the socket area. They had been hidden from view by the cooler.

Yes it could. I had a client last summer whose old Intel Socket 775 computer was exhibiting the same behavior. I tried several times to reinstall Windows but it would crash at the same point of the install every time. I looked the motherboard over and did not see anything suspicious. Then I removed the stock Intel cooler and the problem was evident. Several capacitors were leaking or blown in the socket area. They had been hidden from view by the cooler.

Okay, its starting to make sense. I stuck in an I5 6400 that i am lucky i had at work to test with, and sure enough, full windows install first time, prime 95 for 3 hours no issues, CPU stayed at 41 degrees. So im 99% its the CPU, but to make sure, i am going to stick it in the rig at work and test it.

I bet it works. ;)
It's the board.

Yeah, i dont like how i feel you might be right.

Stuck the 6700k in the board at work, which runs W7 32bit, had one crash after cpu install, but since then no issues, runs prim95 like a champ, changed hdd, installed Win10, no issues.

How on earth do anyone explain this for RMA? Do i send them CPU and motherboard, and let them figure it out?

Okay, to follow up on the testing.

I have now managed to crash the I5 6600K in its new home H170 itx motherboard, 5 times, twice while running prime95, once while installing chrome, and 2 times where it was doing jack all.

Im now 99,9% sure its CPU, but owner has ordered an I7, cos he want upgrade anyway. So i will run the I7, once i confirm no issues, its in for RMA in I5.

I'm glad it was the CPU I was betting on it. I had a defective sky lake 6 months ago that I replaced and it solved all my problems.

Back