• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just lapped my HS and CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oblivi0n

Wow my arms and hands hurt. Im exhausted.

I ordered a lapping kit from Dave Brown over at easypckits late last week - and I picked it up at the leasing office today. I would 1st like to mention that doing business with him was a breeze. He quickly replied and shipped out my kit. I got the kit that came with a peice of glass(which I broke lol), and it came packaged very professionally. Im very pleased with the product - cant beat it for $10.

On to the lapping.

I started at about 6pm tonight. I just got the puter back up. I started by removing my SP94 and CPU. I soaked the CPU in rubbing alcohol while I cleaned off the SP94. I then began to lap the sucker. I left out 3 grits of paper, planning on saving them for the CPU.

I didnt realize how messy this was gonna be. And I also didnt realize water played such a key part in this. Havent done a whole lot of sanding/lapping in my days. I used a variety of movements - mostly moving up/down and rotating the HS. I mixed in some circle motions, but the up/down seemed to flatten/shine it much better. After about an hour I was done. I constantly had to wash off the HS/Sandpaper/glass - was quite the pain in the butt. I also broke the glass by mishandling the HS for a sec when it was wet - the edge barely knocked against the glass for a sec - but it was enough to crack it in half. So I got a pane of glass out of a picture frame, and moved on. I also knicked my knuckles on the sharp edges of the HS a few times, and bled a bit. No pain, no gain - right? I probally could have done it longer - but im satisfied with the result. Its clearly flatter, and has a nice mirror finish.

I moved on to the CPU after this. This took almost an hour and a half - cause im so paranoid about bending pins. I used a soft spongey material that came with an AMD cpu. I applied a decent amount of pressure - and checked the pins atleast 100x. I cant afford to bend any pins, I need to sink money into cooling =0. So it took about 45 minutes just to get down to the copper using 600 and 800 grit. SOOOO tiring. I then moved on to 1000/1200/1500 grit and polished that sucker good. I can see myself in it. VERY pleased.

So I cleaned them off with rubbing alcohol - dried them with a hair dryer on low - and placed everything back in my system - along with a bit of AS5.

My temps before were about 45 idle/55 load. Upon booting up I was at 41c idle. A marked improvement of 4C - well worth 2 and half hours of my time, some muscle building - and $10. I havent tested load yet, and also the AS5 will need a few days to settle. Im pretty confident ive gained a 5c drop at idle atleast by doing all this.

Ill keep ya updated with the temps as things settle into place. I also should be getting my VGA Silencer and OCZ Ramsinks on monday - so again - more cooling changes!

Im addicted. :( heh

Till next time!

congrads. i did a half-asked job of lapping my sp-97, but my temps went up. but, its not on as tight as it was before....because its on correctly now. and the asc hasnt settled, i expect similar cooling when all is said and done...

abitavenger said:
Are there any other places to get a lapping kit?

Sure.

1) You can build one yourself by picking up the components individually,

2) You can order one from one of my competitors

3) You can order a kit from one of my resellers

4) You can order a kit directly from me

Of course, I would like your business and would hope you might pick option 3 or 4. :D

Seriously, whichever you pick, do a bit of homework. I have links to a number of reviews on my website at www.easypckits.com that offer good "how to" guides as well as traditional product reviews and commentary.

In any case, I would be glad to help in any way I can with advice and suggestions no matter where you get your supplies. If you wish, feel free to drop me an email.

Dave
[email protected]

Back