• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I just run a simple Opteron cooler, stock fan also. Quad pipe some diamond thermal interface compound and sit back and enjoy. Here's a fresh restart with idle browsing temps no gaming, just sitting back and shopping or what ever. It's not a bad chip. It just wants to go fast. Typically it skips P-states rather quickly. Software reports too slowly to catch them on the fly, but typically 1.4ghz idle @ .888v it's nice and cool. Snaps right up to 4.7ghz, Turbo on auto doesn't seem to get this to 5ghz though. Thinken it needs to be manually set up on this board for some strange reason. Dunno, haven't tried it.....

Attachments

• 9590 stock.png
    9590 stock.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 115
Wait, it's just cpu -z doesn't report it. Looks like HWmonitor is catching it though.

Attachments

• 9590 stock turbo auto.png
    9590 stock turbo auto.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 96
With a quick WPrime run. This is on Air cooling. Stock Opteron quad heatpipe. I do however have a fan on the VRM package area for additional cooling support.

Let me add the room temp is just over 60f. About 62f. Cool, but not cold.

Attachments

• 9590 stock WPrime 32m run.png
    9590 stock WPrime 32m run.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 114
Question:
Would a de-lid really make a difference for an air cooler like my D14?

From what I've seen from your pics Shrimpy, it's all soldered IHS? Why de-lid is what I'm after. :)

Question:
Would a de-lid really make a difference for an air cooler like my D14?

From what I've seen from your pics Shrimpy, it's all soldered IHS? Why de-lid is what I'm after. :)

It's a good sought after wonderment of sorts. I figure with my liquid custom loop, to get the heat extinguished as fast as possible. I look at the charts to see what conducts heat the best and fastest and try to use this to advantage. Finding that Solder, most often times containing a decent amount of lead to be far down the list for conducting heat.

Now IHS stands for Integrated Heat Spreader. The water block alread has on, basically the base of which contacts the Cpu. Therefore the one provided by AMD isn't necessary. I have however made a Silver plate from a Morgan silver dollar. Lapped both sides flat as a pancake.

In a nut shell, I like to try things even if it means extreme to most people. But If I can knock off 5 or up to 20 on them temps, I might be able to push more voltage. Then overclock more.

Here's an old picture when I started this stuff back in 09'.

Attachments

• DSC02447.jpg
    DSC02447.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 97
So you go CPU core -> Silver dollar -> water block?

With some TIM in between it all?
Cut your temps down a lot?

Hehe, found your Youtube channel and watched ya delid that FX. Crazy sh*t man, blowtorch and all :shock:
So you lap off the solder from the core after I guess?

i suppose the real question is: delidding a soldered chip like the FX lineup is it worth it to the average user looking to OC?

So you go CPU core -> Silver dollar -> water block?

With some TIM in between it all?
Cut your temps down a lot?

Hehe, found your Youtube channel and watched ya delid that FX. Crazy sh*t man, blowtorch and all :shock:
So you lap off the solder from the core after I guess?

i suppose the real question is: delidding a soldered chip like the FX lineup is it worth it to the average user looking to OC?

I did a 970T for a guy right here in these forums. He was running air cooling at 4ghz and was able to drop temps enough to achieve 4.1ghz and was a pretty happy camper.

The Silver Dollar doesn't really do a whole lot TBH. While the thermal paste properties actually conduct heat better than the silver, it really does nothing to improve temps, it's for mounting purposes mainly while running without the IHS plate. Figured instead of using copper, I would use Silver as it's a better conductor.

I'd say on average up to 10c drop in temps throughout various processors in time. water block to processor, no plate.

Worth the risk? I've done a dozen or so with a couple of mistakes. It happens, there's decent risk to it. Fire knives, it can be just as much strain on the cpu as overclocking it. It can die from either. So I try and do the process quickly. Heat fast, remove fast, cool fast.

I know the processors last a long time. Scotty has a couple few. One or two I know he used daily for quite a bit of time. So far, I haven't seen a decrease in life from a de-lidding. If it goes well, the Cpu should be good to go for a long time, but just requires special care when handling and mounting waterblocks. Chipped cores have happened, but most processors stay working. You know this from socket A times. Chipped cores and difficulty mounting onto them kinda just made AMD simply place heat spreaders on, A to help dissipate heat and B to eliminate issues with non PC knowledged folk from ruining their stuff.

I did a 970T for a guy right here in these forums. He was running air cooling at 4ghz and was able to drop temps enough to achieve 4.1ghz and was a pretty happy camper.

The Silver Dollar doesn't really do a whole lot TBH. While the thermal paste properties actually conduct heat better than the silver, it really does nothing to improve temps, it's for mounting purposes mainly while running without the IHS plate. Figured instead of using copper, I would use Silver as it's a better conductor.

I'd say on average up to 10c drop in temps throughout various processors in time. water block to processor, no plate.

Worth the risk? I've done a dozen or so with a couple of mistakes. It happens, there's decent risk to it. Fire knives, it can be just as much strain on the cpu as overclocking it. It can die from either. So I try and do the process quickly. Heat fast, remove fast, cool fast.

I know the processors last a long time. Scotty has a couple few. One or two I know he used daily for quite a bit of time. So far, I haven't seen a decrease in life from a de-lidding. If it goes well, the Cpu should be good to go for a long time, but just requires special care when handling and mounting waterblocks. Chipped cores have happened, but most processors stay working. You know this from socket A times. Chipped cores and difficulty mounting onto them kinda just made AMD simply place heat spreaders on, A to help dissipate heat and B to eliminate issues with non PC knowledged folk from ruining their stuff.

Yeah... chipped core........
More like chipped edge lol I hurt that poor Duron mounting the cooler on.
Still works great though :D

Average 10C drop is not a small drop.
Though, I bet it'll be less on air.

Yeah... chipped core........
More like chipped edge lol I hurt that poor Duron mounting the cooler on.
Still works great though :D

Average 10C drop is not a small drop.
Though, I bet it'll be less on air.

It's a decent number yes.

12/3/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn660 View Post
how much of temp reduction did you see on the 940BE (Deneb 45nm).
ME: The cores dropped 10c at load @ 3600mhz on 1.3875v

That was the first chip I had ever de-lidded. I tested at all speeds up to 4ghz. Still laying around somewhere.

Heck actually e-bay'ed a IHS plate key chain. Sold for like 15$ or something there abouts. It was a 955 or 965BE.... can't remember lol.

So it has made me a couple of dollas along the way as well.

Additional Putz picture.....

Meh get some reference clock in. A little HT clocking. Nothing serious. Just keeping daily clock ideas real. Once this baby is on a water loop again, it's gonna be nice :D

Attachments

• 9590 229 bus.png
    9590 229 bus.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Yes, I have a few of Jon's de-lids. All still run fine. I have some of my own de-lids also. Nothing wrong with de-lidding as long as you know what it's worth. You'll likely never sell these again.
I'm waterblock to bare die on all my de-lids, BTW.

Well one very tired Johan just left here with some new hardware ...... I'll leave it to him to fill you all in on his trip to Montreal, Lets just say it was a good showing. Well done big guy ........:salute:

Get a look at windows remote desktop. How simple that was along with great functionality here locally.
Trying to get Cortana Speech to text recognizing my voice. Along with through Remote desktop.

Ir emitter hopefully arrive by Friday.
Gigabyte 7870 OC RMA return tracking # received here.

Well one very tired Johan just left here with some new hardware ...... I'll leave it to him to fill you all in on his trip to Montreal, Lets just say it was a good showing. Well done big guy ........:salute:

Yes he was a very tired Johan, Ha ha for any who were curious and don't frequent the bench thread here's a link to my adventures. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ld-Tour-2015?p=7799463&viewfull=1#post7799463 if you keep going through the thread you'll find a FB link to some pics. Not taken by me I took a camera but only snapped 3 pics. I was just too busy and didn'y think about it. There's also a pic i there of my loot for placing 2nd.

@S_B, at least this one lived. Way to go !

Great effort Johan.
If no challenge then no fun.
Event like that must have been great experience.

I see you mentioned you may look to replace the reference 290's.
If so id be interested.

I would think the reference 290's may have better memory on the gpu's and I was planning 2ndary cooling anyway.
I too see rumors of new AMD gpu line coming soon.

2 of those cards at once may hurt my already empty wallet, but ahead of time would help in gathering the $$$'s.

Seems weather breaking here in northern maine. almost 24 hour period of above freezing temps.

Thanks eagle and yes I'll be selling them and the bench off. The cards I will bench first just for a few points and then they'll go up for sale. I'll keep you in mind if you want.

Back