• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's better to just remove the IHS, as then you see the difference in thermals. Lapping barely helps, or you have to make the IHS very thin, and it's a lot of work to make it right. The only problem is finding a proper cooler with a fitting mounting kit. You will be limited to liquid coolers or something like Noctua with a mounting kit for delidded CPUs. It fits perfectly, but it's still not worth to delid lower CPUs.
Ryzens (non-X3D) boost to 95°C, but for the best results, you have to lower voltages and use some other settings. Then you can make the CPU run at about 90°C and keep max clocks for longer or simply boost higher.

It's better to just remove the IHS, as then you see the difference in thermals. Lapping barely helps, or you have to make the IHS very thin, and it's a lot of work to make it right. The only problem is finding a proper cooler with a fitting mounting kit. You will be limited to liquid coolers or something like Noctua with a mounting kit for delidded CPUs. It fits perfectly, but it's still not worth to delid lower CPUs.
Ryzens (non-X3D) boost to 95°C, but for the best results, you have to lower voltages and use some other settings. Then you can make the CPU run at about 90°C and keep max clocks for longer or simply boost higher.
I know its better to do that but don't want the hassle of setting up a H2O system for thermals. I'm looking at getting my "old" Cryorig R1 Ultimate to fit in with some mods to washers, etc. I finally got the grades of sandpaper I need now, so its just a matter of finding time to do the remount. I've also got to change my ram cause the Corsair Vengeance kit I have now annoys me with is RGB bling & its height is too much for the 140mm fans that are going to be sitting practically on top of them. So I was looking at some G.Skill Flare X5's or Ripjaws S5 kits because their heights are barely 33mm. I don't like the Corsair Vengeance kits because they all seem to use Samsung B die ICs & Corsair pushes the volts on these kits to get them clocking higher with reasonable CL.

Back