• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D Bios and 256 vid mem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

verbatim

I remember reading the 1.91 bios for the K7D and it saying something about not being compatable with 256mb of vid mem. Now I am looking at getting a new x800 but maybe I cant (all 256mb) Anyone using 256mb cards in a K7D or had any experience??
TA

Hmnmm, why would you hook up a high end card like the X800 in a workstation server like the K7D? You're not gonna be able to utilize the full potential of the card with max FSB of 150. IMHO it's a waste.

The K7D is a workhorse, not a gamming board. If you wanna game, the K7D is not gonna be able to deliver the goods. I've got a GF2 Ultra 64mb card in my K7D. More than enough. As for gamming the K7D isn't designed for that @ 150FSB which will choke the system up as far as games are concerend.

Most everyone here uses their dualy to game as well. I got another computer but I cant afford to keep 2 comps updated with hardware all the time. I know I cant get the full potential out of the card but then neither can the fx-53etc. (card is still cpu-bound in some game benchmarks) I just wanna try and get some more FPS so I can play the latest games at a decent speed. (I hate slowdown - however brief)

Well honestly the X800 is gonna perform just like the 9800 pro you have in the machine now because of it's bottleneck. Only thing you might notice is better resolutions and graphic details. Other than that, that's about it.

Just as a test I put my FX5950 Ultra in my K7D to see. I did'nt see any changes other than better visual graphic details. No gain in FPS because the rig is maxed out @ 150 FSB. Also the K7D doesn't have 8X. max is 4X.

Good luck tho.

Thats what I want. To turn up details and resolution. As long as I run above 30FPS AND NOT BELOW I'll be happy. I dont need 200FPS but I wanna run above 1024x800 in farcry (for instance)

Ahhh, i see, lol. Well that's where i can't say for certain it will run farcry cuz I don't have that game. I tested with UT2k4 and COD. Haven't gotta the chance to get it.

Even COD is quite a resourse hog due to lots of things going on. I remember I have got the resolution quite low (1024x800 or 1200x1024odd) and no AF or AA. I'd like to change that.

Nebulous said:
Hmnmm, why would you hook up a high end card like the X800 in a workstation server like the K7D? You're not gonna be able to utilize the full potential of the card with max FSB of 150. IMHO it's a waste.

The K7D is a workhorse, not a gamming board. If you wanna game, the K7D is not gonna be able to deliver the goods. I've got a GF2 Ultra 64mb card in my K7D. More than enough. As for gamming the K7D isn't designed for that @ 150FSB which will choke the system up as far as games are concerend.

I strongly disagree.

90% of your gaming performance is dependent on the video card and NOT the CPU, memory, chipset, or motherboard.

90%

Duallies are great for gaming. Losing 5-10% of your overall FPS is not a killer, in my opinion. In some cases, like hosting a game and playing, simultaneously, a dually with actually outperform a single-CPU machine. In instances where you run CPU-intensive applications in the background, while gaming, a dually will come out on top, again.

It is too often claimed that duallies aren't good for gaming. I think that assumption is short-sighted. I've pitted my own dually against a faster system, using the same video card and NEVER saw more than a 10% difference in framerates. In most cases, the difference was smaller than 10% and this was a faster CPU, faster memory system, versus my dual AMD rig, when both using the exact same video card and exact same drivers and settings.

There have been several threads, in this forum, regarding gaming on a dually. Most dually owners, who game on their duallies, have great things to say about them.

verbatim said:
I remember reading the 1.91 bios for the K7D and it saying something about not being compatable with 256mb of vid mem. Now I am looking at getting a new x800 but maybe I cant (all 256mb) Anyone using 256mb cards in a K7D or had any experience??
TA

I used to run my 256 MB 9800 Pro in my K7D and it worked fine. The X800 will outperform a lesser card, like the 9800 Pro, no matter what system it is installed in, even an AMD dually.

Back