• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7s5a lock up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Ok..gonna try this again.
My 2nd rig has a newly installed 1600xp chip. When I set her at 133/133 in bios she boots up but quickly locks up when i try a 3d application.
Now if I set her to 100/100 she boots fine(@1050mhz not 1.4) and all my apps run fine including 3d w/ no lock ups. There has is no bios/driver update update. Prior to this 1600 chip I was running a Duron 1000 at 100/100 w/ no probs ever.

Advice?

I just had a problem similar to yours but only with an Asus A7N266-VM-AA, it would boot on the 100 bus but not 133. It turned out to be the power supply. It just didn’t like the 430watt power supply I bought for it. I switched it to an old generic 300 watt power supply I had and it runs fine.

7keys said:
So have you solved your problem yet?

Not yet.
I dont have a extra PS laying around to try it out on. It is not a essential problem as it is the 2nd rig, but annoying non the less. I may get a new case w/ a PS this Saterday and swap everything to the new case to see if that makes a diff.

I was kinda hoping that it was not the PS but so far no one has posted back to say otherwise. I was thinking it may be the bios as I have not flashed that board yet and have been too busy to do so. I may have to write ECS and ask them what the prob could be.

Do you think updating the bios may be a issue? It is a older model of the ecs K7S5a.

What speed and type of ram is in it, and what are the voltages and temperatures at 100 and 133? It could be that once the system is under load, the voltages are dropping or the heat is getting too high.

well i had the same problem just a few days ago. Try the chipset heat sink mod then if that doesnt work try with only on stick of ram. then switch it to the other stick. I think one of my sticks was bad so once i found two stick that would boot fine by them selfs then i put them together and it was working fine.

I've been having the same problem with my K7S5A. It worked fine for almost a year, then it started being metrosexual and freezing up. I was running 2 sticks of 128mb SDRam, bought a stick of 512mb SDRam. Now it runs for about 4 minutes during gameplay before it feezes, or 15 minutes regular use (browsing websites, etc). I can run it on 100/100 just fine, ut when I up it to 133/133 it goes homo.

Specs:

K7S5A
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512mb SDRam

Edit: Let's hope those metrosexuals don't get offended.

Last edited:
JU571N said:
I've been having the same problem with my K7S5A. It worked fine for almost a yrar, then it started being gay and freezing up. I was running 2 sticks of 128mb SDRam, bought a stick of 512mb SDRam. Now it runs for about 4 minutes during gameplay before it feezes, or 15 minutes regular use (browsing websites, etc). I can run it on 100/100 just fine, ut when I up it to 133/133 it goes homo.

Specs:

K7S5A
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512mb SDRam
Nothing wrong w/ being GAY! Some of my best friends are GAY. Watch your posts please as you are not only insulting members but showing your lack of maturity!

I think "being gay and freezing up" was his main complaint...not...being gay. :D

I thought it might be your power supply. The K7S5A is picky about power supplies.

7keys said:
I think "being gay and freezing up" was his main complaint...not...being gay. :D

I thought it might be your power supply. The K7S5A is picky about power supplies.

HA HA....good one!
Ya, it is my fault for not checking my PS...it was sold to me in a generic case over a year ago and only ever had a duron 1g in it...when the 1600xp would not run I took the ps out only to discover it was 160w:eek:

I shoulda double checked when i bought it..but I had faith in the guy who put it in for me...Lucky for me I do all repairs myself these days and dont have to rely on Loser tech guys who rip people off!

You know, many of my friends ask the computer sales people what parts to buy and end up with crap. You really have to do a little research and install it yourself. There is so much deception in the computer world. That’s why I like sites like these.

Back