• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k8n neo4 platinum, hit or miss? i shall see :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
to anyone out there, lately i have been experiencing faulty playback sound. this is when playing an mp3 on windows media player 10. the tracks appear to run fine for 5 secs skid a bit and keep playing. this happened while testing my computer at 255 mhz. could it be due to the overclock? i doubt it much. anyone have any clues as to why this sort of thing may happen?
this is not the first time it happens, 2 days ago i had the same problem when my alarm went off playing a different track.

computer seems to run perfect at 255, and its passing all the tests i throw at it, 7 hours of prime, sandra´s, pcmark05, super pi... right now i left the machine doing a memtest it´ll be 14 hours of it by the time i get home
im at 255, 4xht, ram supposed to do 212 but pulls up at about 202,

It's either the OC or windows corruption from when the OC was higher. Honestly, seven hours of prime is not nearly enough to show stability. You need 18to 24 hours on small and large fft's as well as the blend test. Prime priority should be set at 10.

As for fixing windows, I would try running a windows file check. Go to start then run and enter, sfc /scannow and then hit enter. Have your windows XP cd handy as it will ask for it. It will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Afterwards reboot. If the problem is still there you may have to do a windows repair installation. If the problem that caused this is still present it will reappear. It sounds like a memory issue is at the bottom of it. Do not be fooled by passing memtest as running the memory in windows is much more difficult, I suggest you run a Prime blend test as it is the fastest way to find memory problems in windows.
Good luck with it.

havent been able to get an xp cd yet, be getting that later on tonight...

i´ve given prime 150mb for priming, at the 13th hour it would get me sum errors, i upped the voltage to 1.425 and its been 48hrs since, bit more.. currently at 255mhz.(2805). it is summer with no air conditioner and max temps are at 44.5
will be blending tonight. :)

well, my lazy behind hasnt gotten an xp cd yet, though worth noting i havent experienced the sound problem since. i think it might have been the unstable oc at that point.
i am happy at how everything is working right now. i was really scared when i first began building this baby.
it´s become clear i need about 1.5v to get stable upto 262-265 mhz and this thing can probably go further, but i wont bother at thispoint.... not with stock cooling at least, and not with this ram.
thanks for all the advice all, you specially rseven.
i´ll be reading about memory overclocking now...:)

You are welcome, Savageseb. That kind of reminds me of a great boss I use to have who did not rush to fix a problem, because he realized that somethings just manage to fix themselves. If it was still a problem after a few days then he knew he'd have to take care of it. There is some great Eastern wisdom in that approach. If it works now, then that's great. The windows file check is a good little trick that is worth knowing for future reference. Good luck with the rig.
Rich

Back