• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston SSD up in smoke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
The other night I was trying to install xP on my crossblade. Everything went fine untill I was installing drivers and I got a blue screen. After that I couldn't get XP to load. Right when windows was about to start another blue screen. So i decided I would re-install thinking driver corruption. After that any time after partition selection I'd get blue screens or HDD errors saying it was corrupt. I'd also get media errors. i was at it for a while. I swapped data cables and power cables and still the same result. I ended up quitting out of frustration. Next day I decided to use IDE mode thinking maybe the slipped drivers weren't quite right for this board. Everything went beautifully. I had XP installed, drivers done and trying some FSB OC to get the iGP up to par. Shut down for supper and when I went to restart the PC, I heard this sizzling/popping noise and that's when I saw the smoke. I use a bench and the SSD was just sitting on my desk which was blackened from the fire. The SATA power plug was melted right to the SSD. I pulled it apart, cleaned it up and tried it in a different plug but the SSD is done. Typically this is caused from loose connections but I KNOW they were tight . It was part of my problem solving. It was even a new cable. Then I remembered I was having issue with this drive with similar circumstances on and off for the last couple months. In my opinion there was something wrong with it not the connector.

ssd1.JPG

ssd2.JPG

Looks rather bad and you will have problems with RMA for sure. Hard to say what was it. PSU has OVP/OCP so should turn off so if it's not the faulty connector ( shouldn't be if was working for longer ) then it's something with SSD.

I was pretty certain i would have trouble with RMA and them saying loose connection. I know better loose wires cause fires

Don't let him fool you woomack he had the SSD under ln2 and was trying to make it faster. ;) hehe

Don't let him fool you woomack he had the SSD under ln2 and was trying to make it faster. ;) hehe

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

No, I wish it was so guys. Imagine the PCM05 scores then.

I will remember not to purchase a Kingston SSD.:eek:

I also have another Kinston here that the Data cable tab broke off of. This was one I had in an actual PC Just tried to move it one day and when reconnecting the cable I broke the tab somehow so it's useless too. I was waiting till one of my others broke to hopefully swap parts but this one sure won't work.

I also have another Kinston here that the Data cable tab broke off of. This was one I had in an actual PC Just tried to move it one day and when reconnecting the cable I broke the tab somehow so it's useless too. I was waiting till one of my others broke to hopefully swap parts but this one sure won't work.
Yeah, I don't think you're salvaging that drive for parts.

Good news Kingston accepted my RMA and is even ponying up for shipping.

Me to thanks. I did link this post in the problem description so...........

Looks rather bad and you will have problems with RMA for sure. Hard to say what was it. PSU has OVP/OCP so should turn off so if it's not the faulty connector ( shouldn't be if was working for longer ) then it's something with SSD.

Had a similar melting cable issue with my Last PSU. Corsair Platinum AX 860 which was 3 years old and generally considered high quality. Melted the PCI-E cable to the modular socket on the PSU.

Makes me wonder if Kingston has realized this is a problem with some of their drives. I mean the manufacturers generally don't give up that easy.

Makes me wonder if Kingston has realized this is a problem with some of their drives. I mean the manufacturers generally don't give up that easy.
For something toasted like that? On an SSD? I would expect it to go smooth.:thup:

I wonder if there having problems with there drives like this, seem like they don't have a fail-safe?

After I did this , I found at least 4 more that died under very similar circumstances.
Now if I can only find someone behind a fedex counter that knows what they're doing. I have tried twice in the last week to send this back. Both times the operator has done something wrong tries to back up and locks up their system. Don't know if it's them or the system but it's trying my patience.

After I did this , I found at least 4 more that died under very similar circumstances.
Now if I can only find someone behind a fedex counter that knows what they're doing. I have tried twice in the last week to send this back. Both times the operator has done something wrong tries to back up and locks up their system. Don't know if it's them or the system but it's trying my patience.
Ups? :D

Back