• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kinston hyper-x. False advertising?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p4nz3rf4ust

Registered
I just bought a 1 gig kit of pc3200 Kingston Hyper-X (KHX3200AK2/1G)

I just found out the advertised timings , 2-3-2-6 seems to be for a 166mhz fsb. It would be 2.5-3-3-8 for 200mhz...
I paid the kit well over 400$ cdn expecting it to run the advertised timing :bang head .

Since it was a special order i dont think i can take it back for refund :eh?:

Anyone else aware of this? What should i do?

try it out see what it doeswhat u want it to do.. if u cant get what u wanted, contact the store u bought it from and see what can be worked out...

What the hell? if they advertise timings it should be @ the speed of the ram. That's garbage. That's like saying a P4 2.8GHz is faster than an A64 2800+... only when the 2800+ is clocked at 1.2GHz, or something.

System not even prime stable at 2.5-3-3-8, was stable with some kvr pc2100 ram 2 days ago...

Taken from pcwizard 2004

-------------------------------
Information EEPROM (DDR1) :
Manufacturer : Kingston
Part Number : K
Serial Number : 5426C181
Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz)
Size : 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability : No
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh
Voltage : SSTL 2.5v
Supported Frequencies : 166 MHz, 200 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @166 MHz, 2.5 clocks @200 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Im really disapointed, had to wait 1 week to get it and its not much better then some cheap Kingston value ram (kvr = 120$ cdn for pc3200 512mb x 2 =240$ / Hyper-X kit : 410$ cdn)

So far my whole system sucks...

Take back to the store, it wont matter, tell them its false advertisement and you demand a refound, who cares if its special order, its their fault for lying to you.

edit: Maybe its possible that kingston advertising is correct, but the store gave you a different model.

according to the package, i did get the good model. Maybe i got some older model or something and specs changed meanwhile?
With this ram my mobile isnt even stable at 3200+ ( it was stable friday using pc2100 mem on a divider) Maybe my mobo screwed up or something. Any chance i can return my mobo and cpu and buy an a64(bought them last week)?

Run MemTest...if not stable...increase Vdimm...then burn-in. Prime95 errors could mean instability in any part of the system. If it still refuses to run 2-3-2-6 @ 200MHz or DDR400, just RMA it. It is possible you got some bad CH-5.

I already ran mem test, got a error once then was fine.Wont raising voltage on memory void my warranty?
Im also disapointed in my mobo, cant get temp readings in windows(worth trusting), it seems to overvolt my cpu and undervolt my ram too. Could the problems be mobo related? :-/
Im seriuously considering taking my mobo/cpu/mem back :bang head

lol...the 2.8V the A7N8X allows won't kill your memory unless you board overvolt enormously...and if your memory isn't dead then they won't know you over-volted.

Alright im gonna try it. I might be able to play Bf:V for more then 15 mins in a row tonight...

Also try one stick at a time and test for stability. Could be a single bad stick. You might also want to try different DIMM combos. My mobo hates dual-channel in DIMM sockets 2 and 3 but works in sockets 1 and 3.

currently in socket 1 and 3. Besides i dont see the need to test on stick at a time, this is a 2x512 kit so im gonna have to take them both back... (and 410$cdn for a stick isnt worth it :mad: )

prime failed after 7 mins! getting even worse :cry: , ill try to get a refund and buy something else(dont feel like waiting another week for memory to get a working system), any suggestions?

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/thelines/default.asp?type=khxr

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KRX3200AK2/1G&promo=hx2shp

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KHX3200AK2/1G&promo=hx2shp

The first link is to the Kingston page for Registered ram, showing the KHX that they have for sale, along with the cost and timings. The timings that are being displayed by PCWizard are the timings that the Kingston site shows for the ECC model (kRx PC3200), see second link, not the unregistered variety. Something is wrong somewhere, the timings for regular DDR400 (kHx PC3200) are 2-3-2-6, that is the third link. Notice that the kRx is the Registered, the unbuffered is the kHx ( "H" not "R") in the three letter abbreviation.

Print out the datasheet and go back to the store where you bought the stuff and get them to sort it out. There is no reason for DDR3200 to advertise its timings at DDR333 speeds and Kingston doesn't do this. I think that your ram is defective and you are due a refund and/or exchange.

Last edited:
One quick question...what color is the heatspreader on your ram? Blue or Black. Black is for the Registered ECC stuff, but I don't think that will run on an XP system, but I really don't know that for sure.

thx reefa_madness. Guess i was a bit quick to claim kingston does false advertising but its frustration i guess. Had to wait 1 week for this ram(special order at local comp shop) and it was huge disapointment to see its not working right. Oh well by the time i get some working ram Geforce 6800GT might be out ...

Ask Kingston to replace it. You know how many of the rams have heatsinks,etc. Well the store where I used to buy my stuff from was caught replacing these heatsinks saying false ram names timimgs, etc. I am sure many stores would do this.

Heatspeaders are blue, i really dont think i got the wrong product(ihope he didnt re-label it or hes in trouble). Right now im testing the hyper-x memory in my other rig(athlon xp2500+, Msi k7n2 delta l, geforce 2 mx(card plays Battlefield vietnam at 800x600x16 bit everything to low lol) and it seems to work fine. Im also testing some kingtson value ram pc3200(1x512mb) in my main comp

Last edited:
try to see if you have the latest BIOS on you moboard and if that doesnt work, but the ram works in a different system, then you should get a new moboard.

Back