• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Lamptron CW611 Watercooling Controller Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice! All 3 pin? So no go on a PWM fan or pump I suppose?

Pretty nice. Looks good. 36 watts can control a lot of fans. Wish they would add 4 pin PWM, but they kinda have one of those already I think.

Can a classic DDC 3.2 pump be speed controlled by this? Has enuff watts but will the DDC3.2 be able to be speed controlled? Kinda embarrassed to ask, I should know that.

That would be be a gain for many folks, using a sensor taped to the back of the CPU socket for pump speeds since water will absorb the heat slowly while the back of the mobo warms up. Be a smooth temp change.

Yes , it's three pin only, no PWM headers.

A DDC can definitely be controlled, but if I had to guess, startup voltage is probably higher than a typical fan.

You know if you have four pin fans you can just break or bend out the casings covering the 3 pins on the fan controller, and leave the blue-wired 4th pin (all the way to the right if you have the tip flat on a surface) off. It's what I did with my Cosmos II's fan controller and 4 pin PWM Enermax fans I have leftover from my IBUYPOWER computer. Works just fine.

But this is a really fancy controller, I wish they'd make one just for normal air builds, I would tottaly scoop this up. It's like having extra RPM/temperature sensing/control motherboard slots. Really cool stuff. So you could set the temperature sensors near the GFX cards and when they start heating up the fans blowing on them could speed up.

I would have scooped this up if it werent for my $25ish NZXT Sentry Mesh =P

The specifications list "black anodized / silver", so in theory it will be available in both; however all I can find for sale right now is the black version and there don't appear to be any images of the silver version anywhere.

If anyone is interested in the black version you can pay MSRP at Xoxide or you can pay the FrozenCPU premium price of $10 more (they have good customer service, but they're always the most expensive per part every time I look there).

Well Lamptron has done silver in the past so... I think they usually wait to see how sales go on the new product before they get to ahead of themselves...
If I see one I'm snagging it... :)

Hey I just earned another star. WOOT

Awwww man, that is one sweet fan controller. If I were to upgrade, I'd grab one. Thanks for the write up :thup:

Hokie, how would you compare this to the Aquaero 5? Are there any benefits to this besides cost over the Aquaero?

I haven't had any experience with the Aquaero 5, but looking at this review of the Aquaero 5 XT, it takes away three fan headers and reduces wattage to 20W/channel. That said, it adds a PWM header and can control an (optional) LED. It can also be expanded with several accessories and comes with a remote.

For ease of use and features, the Aquaero is probably a better choice, but you're going to pay out the nose for it (the XT is $195), especially when you start adding accessories.

Back