• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN connex to a LAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobTheGoldfish

Registered
I am at uni in the UK atm which means i am in halls, and thus have a nice fast internet connection via the university network.

To provide a server for the other people on the network i am buying a new cheap box that i will connect to the port in my wall. I then intend to use a second NIC to connect my current PC to this box and hopefully connect to the network via that.

So how can i transfer my connections through the other PC? I could get a proxy program but then would that be able to forward the connection to yet another proxy?
WOuld i just be able to get a program that simply forwards everything from one nic to the other nic going out, will it just automatically go through the other PC and find the uni proxy?

Alternatively i could plug my machine into the network and put the server coming off this. Is there a way to automatically forward certain prot connections (Half life servers) through to the other PC?

I hope this is possibleas otherwise its a weeks worth of carefulk planning, price matching and begging people for money towards it down the drain (fortunatly not money as i havent bought it yet, just got it all set up)

Do you have a router? Specifically, one with two or more ports?

Either that or check on EBay and look and see if you can find a Cisco Catalyst Switch. You can divide that switch into 2 VLANs and do it like that.

a catalyst isn't what you want here. I would ask the 'computer people' at your university if you can obtain more than 1 IP per port. If so, just buy a small hub/switch and both of your machines will have a regular internet IP. I'd assume you can, since most dorm rooms have atleast 2 people in them, both with a computer.

If you can't obtain more than 1 IP per port, there are many NAT programs out there that will do NAT & port forwarding. Windows XP comes with basic internet sharing software, and there are a few commericial apps out there too.

Kingslayer said:
Do you have a router? Specifically, one with two or more ports?

Either that or check on EBay and look and see if you can find a Cisco Catalyst Switch. You can divide that switch into 2 VLANs and do it like that.

Unfortunatly i cant get extra ip's and i cant afford a router anyway (poor student bob, this extra machine is going to cos all my spare monies)

What programs could i use to forward the Half-life ports to the other machine?

Oh and as for cable connections:
The PC into the network will have a normal CAT-5 cable, between the 2 PCs i will want a crossover wont i?

Last edited:
Back