• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop gets really hot on gaming and normal load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hi,

I bought msi gf75 a year ago.
Specs: i7-9750, GTX1660ti, 16GB DDR4 2666, 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD.

The laptop is really good, my previous laptop Dell i7559, i5-6300HQ , GTX 960M, is still working, and it also runs any game, and the temps are understandable.

But the new msi with the reviews it got on YouTube with the big cooling copper pipes, I thought it would run better than the Dell in regard for temps rates.

But I noticed that the msi gets hot more quickly and also the temps are higher even on normal loads !

This is my screenshot:

temp1.png

Note: I'm not even running a heavy game, just a simple console application.

Those are warm running chips. More cores and threads, etc. That said, you shouldn't be reaching those temperatures with such little load on the CPU.

I'd reach out to MSI and see what they say. Most of what we can help with, I think, voids the warranty. But make sure you hear fans spinning and ramping up under load, etc. The basics.

But yes, I'd reach out to MSI and see what's up.... was it ok out of the gate and getting warmer over time, or was it like this out of the box?

EDIT: Why in that image did you circle the HDDs?

I'd reach out to MSI and see what they say. But make sure you hear fans spinning and ramping up under load, etc. The basics.

The fans are working, and they bounce high/low all the time.

Most of what we can help with, I think, voids the warranty.
But yes, I'd reach out to MSI and see what's up.... was it ok out of the gate and getting warmer over time, or was it like this out of the box?

you mean changing the thermal paste ? I just bought grizzly thermal paste and the liquid metal compound. So I can try anyone.

And yes, you're right, I should contact msi first then, if they say it's normal, then I would go with the thermal compounds.

EDIT: Why in that image did you circle the HDDs?

I want to note that the HDDs aren't at high usage.

I didn't mean changing the thermal paste, no. You can do so, surely... but like I said, contact MSI and see what they say. 20% load and 97C doesn't seem right.

Ok.. good to know the HDDs aren't doing anything.......but they don't really heat up a laptop in the first place. I would have circled the CPU and GPU, lol.

OK, got it.

I also should get back to YouTube reviews and check if there are issues with heat.

I had a laptop from last year that had plastic covers on the memory and m.2. One of these came loose and wedges in 1 of the fans and caused a heat issue

OK, I can open it and check if there's anything wrong with the internal stuff.

But I don't think there's something with that because I noticed temp problems since I received the laptop.

Playing Dirt 4

I'm smelling the laptop electronics plastic :)

temp2.png

More load = moar hot!

Contact MSI, bud... see what they say about it and if you can replace the TIM without voiding the warranty.

1. What is "TIM" ?
2. I think it could be a bios thing, after following this video:

[video=youtube;W9gnkUYx55E]

It maybe a small possibility that the bios settings in my laptop are a bit higher than it should be or not optimized !
Could it be the case ?

TIM = Thermal Interface Material.

It maybe a small possibility that the bios settings in my laptop are a bit higher than it should be or not optimized !
Could it be the case ?
Not really, no.

I closed most the apps, just kept monitor apps.

And did a disk cleanup, here are the desktop screenshots:

#1. during cleaning process:

Temps go high, but it doesn't stay at these high temps, just for seconds and then get back to 60-70 range:

oc_net2.png

#2. after cleaning ends:

Note the processor jump and down in task manager

oc_net3.png

Make sure you read all your manuals and know what you are allowed to do to the laptop. Taking the laptop apart to re-apply Thermal Paste is more than standard wear & tear thatÂ’s usually allowed. For a laptop, this is considerable parts removal = many places to break something. If the laptop is still under warranty, I would be contacting MSI about this problem as itÂ’s not normal for such little use. Video editing/encoding/max settings on games - this is expected. What is the room temp that the laptop is in?
Like ED asked - did the laptop have a heat issue when you first got it, did this happen gradually, or did you just now notice that you had a heat issue??

Hi,

I got a reply from msi and told me not to share anything in the email with anyone, I don't know why, the email has some procedure to check for the status and measures for the system information.

But I think I can express the general points of the email:

1. First of all, they mentioned that this is normal that the system should react to any apps, games, ... etc. Differently and accordingly which of course I understand in the first place.
2. They provided some procedures to check for any problems and/or get any optimizations if I could. Like:
Check if there's a high CPU usage, update EC firmware, clean uninstall/install GPU driver, use DDU tool, remove unnecessary software and check for viruses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

Also I want to add this picture, to be sure that the temps I have are normal or more than normal for the working programs. I marked 2 points:

I'm doing this measure, with the same desktop apps:
1. In "Balanced" power option, so the CPU speed jumps from 4 to 2.9 to 3.7, etc. GHz. the temps are in low 50's. 51-54 max.
2. In "High performance", the temps jumped to 57-62.

oc_net4.png

Re your image (my initial reaction is below): what have you run when you're hitting these high 70's to 80's? Is that just browsing the desktop or did you run another program like disk cleanup or game to capture those temps? It is understandable for the system to run a higher idle temp in order to lower fan noise, and while not ideal, I don't know if there is anything really wrong with idle temps of 50-60. However to thermally throttle during disk cleanup, this is an issue!

lol they don't want you to share because if they get caught telling customers it's normal for their products to cook themselves they'll have a PR issue. I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice but unless you signed something I don't think they can prohibit you from sharing support communications. In fact if you confidentially shared this with Gamer's Nexus I'm sure they would have a field day and of course protect their source.

Of course I may be over-reacting. It is not uncommon for some products to be designed to thermally throttle. I guess the engineers figure that's why the thermal limit is there. But I personally don't feel like it's appropriate or good design and it leads to using components that won't perform to their full potential. Not exactly false advertising because the component is there, but it won't necessarily perform as expected and with component shortages is feels downright wasteful.

Re your image (my initial reaction is below): what have you run when you're hitting these high 70's to 80's? Is that just browsing the desktop or did you run another program like disk cleanup or game to capture those temps? It is understandable for the system to run a higher idle temp in order to lower fan noise, and while not ideal, I don't know if there is anything really wrong with idle temps of 50-60. However to thermally throttle during disk cleanup, this is an issue!

Most the time, I have 3 programs, text editor, programming IDE and Chrome. With my experience with my Dell i7559, that has i5 and GTX960m, I may forgot but I don't remember having the laptop warm in normal working load.

I've done a video, I'm doing the video for now on this forum so you guys check with me what's going on:

[video=youtube;lO76tUmhlsM]

lol they don't want you to share because if they get caught telling customers it's normal for their products to cook themselves they'll have a PR issue. I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice but unless you signed something I don't think they can prohibit you from sharing support communications. In fact if you confidentially shared this with Gamer's Nexus I'm sure they would have a field day and of course protect their source.

Yes, it's companies' policy, I'm thinking most the policies and the disclaimers provided are of the company's political rights, I don't have so much experience in this, but at the end of the day I respect what they tell me because it's their product.

But I think anyone can review the product on YouTube and the company can't sue the reviewer, am I right here ?

Of course I may be over-reacting. It is not uncommon for some products to be designed to thermally throttle. I guess the engineers figure that's why the thermal limit is there. But I personally don't feel like it's appropriate or good design and it leads to using components that won't perform to their full potential. Not exactly false advertising because the component is there, but it won't necessarily perform as expected and with component shortages is feels downright wasteful.

----------------------------------------------------
Edit: I forgot to complete this part.
yes, I just want to know if there's something not optimized in the laptop, it should be out of the box of course.

But anyway I'm trying to check, the fans are pushing.

Maybe the laptop is ok after all.

Couple things: you can sort task manager by CPU usage, and see what is loading the CPU. Looks like mainly chrome and windows explorer causing those jumps. Also the CPU speed jumping around in balanced is normal, it will lower the clocks more aggressively to save energy / battery life compared to performance.

All of that said all of these are what I would consider idle or low loads. While I'm concerned to see 75c plus at that load, what really matters is what it reads under load: while gaming or running something more intensive.

While I'm concerned to see 75c plus at that load, what really matters is what it reads under load: while gaming or running something more intensive.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, I did another video:

[video=youtube;9Q2scSljEcY]

I closed everything except recording program, then I launched a game on balanced power mode.

What you think guys of the temps ?

Looks like thermal throttling to me. You can try messing with apps etc, but I'm guessing it was just engineered that way. Designed to meet a price point and size and weight, and whether the components could actually achieve designed performance was less of a priority. All you can do is try their solutions I guess. I would also try without any of their software involved, just to see how it behaves then. It's also a laptop, so you do have to somewhat limit your expectations, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to throttle playing a game either. Of course running a stress test I bet most of them throttle.

Back