• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop with a 12v battery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robin Hood

Is there such a laptop or is there a way of stepping up from 12 to 14.4v?

I am looking to work away from home for periods of at least a week with no mains available and was wondering if I could connect to a car battery in some way.

Well, it might be possible to run the laptop off just twelve volts - it probably wouldn't harm it - most laptops are tolerant of low voltages - since as you use up the inbuilt batteries their voltage slowly drops, and at about 10 volts, the laptop can no longer function, so it runs out... so it might be okay with 12volts.

Failing that, since you're from the UK, pop down to halfords and get one of these to plug into your car.

**edit** link doesn't work that well - keep clicking on it - since it worked third time with me.

If that fails, go to www.halfords.com

then Online Store (big logo)
Then Touring and Travel (Near the bottom)
Then Car Power Point (First on list - £34.99)

Blueacid

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll take a look at that now.

Looks like an inverter - any problems running off 230v when it isn't a pure sin wave?

Last edited:
Possibly. Since in the power cord for your laptop, the transformer will take the voltage down, and regulate it. As a result, if the incoming voltage is variable, the transformer for your laptop should smooth it out, and if you get a brownout, then the laptop will switch to its internal battery.

But if you're running this alone off a dedicated car battery, then you should be fine. However, if you're using it IN the car, then turn the stereo down (if you have a large stereo with big bass boxes) since they will make the voltages in your car a bit wobbly, and don't turn the rear screen heater on and off loads.

I'll actually be working from a house that has a 12v system generated from water/wind and it already has a inverter - hence I knew about the wave problem but your point about the transformer is a good one.

Thanks again Blue :beer:

Well, good luck!

If you wanted to be certain, try rigging up the house to charge a car battery, and run your laptop off that - hence then you can be sure of stable current from the battery.

Good luck!

Back