• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clearing CMOS not removing BIOS password

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIGA10

Hello. Im not sure if this is the right forums to post this? I have a Gigabyte G5 KE laptop. When I bought it I did set a BIOS password but now I cant remember the password. I can enter the BIOS menu but when trying to access settings it ask for my BIOS password. I have tried to clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery and waited 1h and after putting it back again and boot I get the message that NVRAM has been resetted. I can see that the clock is changed and is out of sync and when trying to access BIOS settings it ask for my BIOS password. I have done this also to "bridge" the 2 CMOS pins with a metal object without success. I have also disconnected the power battery and removed the CMOS battery and waited 10hrs and then plugged them back again and still it ask for password for BIOS settings. I have contacted Gigabyte support several weeks ago and I have not heard from them. I think I will never either. So im hoping im in the right forums and there is someone to be able to get rid of the BIOS password. Does anyone know how to fix this? I appreciate anyone that try to help. Thanks in advance:)

The google led me here...

What should I do if I forgot the BIOS password?​

You may clear CMOS to revoke previous BIOS password. Please turn off power and remove power cord from motherboard before clear CMOS. To clear CMOS, you may follow the instruction below:
  1. If there is a [CMOS_SW] button on motherboard, just press this button to clear CMOS.
  2. If there is a CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper) jumper on the motherboard, you may place a jumper cap to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. (You may refer to the manual about where CLR_CMOS located.)
  3. If there is no CLR_CMOS jumpers or [CMOS_SW] button on the motherboard, please follow the steps to clear CMOS:
    1. Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 10 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
    2. Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
    3. Connect power cord to MB again and turn on power.
After clear CMOS, please press DEL to enter BIOS and select [Load fail-Safe Defaults] or [Load Optimized Defaults] then save changes and reboot the system.
Have you done the final step of loading defaults, then reboot?

The google led me here...

Have you done the final step of loading defaults, then reboot?

That option never appears. Strange. Do you think the BIOS password is stored in another place than stored via CMOS?
Post magically merged:

Only thing I can think of is contact Gigabyte and ask them.
That was my first thought and I asked them via esupport page. That was week ago and I have not heard from them. The status is still "new". They have not even read it.

I remember on certain Dell notebooks the only way to clear a BIOS password was to contact Dell and show proof of ownership. Dell would then provide a backdoor password to the owner.

You might see if there are different methods of contacting Gigabyte & try them again.

I remember on certain Dell notebooks the only way to clear a BIOS password was to contact Dell and show proof of ownership. Dell would then provide a backdoor password to the owner.

You might see if there are different methods of contacting Gigabyte & try them again.
Thats sounds really nice if Gigabyte would offer this support. Do you think they would if I showed them proof of ownership?

I have contacted them via their site "esupport". I have contacted them several weeks ago and the status still show as "new". They have not even read my ticket. I dont know any other method. Do you? I would appreciate it if you can share it with me. Thanks in advance :)

I wouldn't get my hopes up; I had this issue with my Son's laptop. It was a Dell XPS, nice and relatively expensive. DELL told me I had to buy another motherboard when I inquired about it. I never did get it unlocked, which wasn't the end of the world. The laptop still worked fine.

back in the day...
gigabyte was the king of dual bios and i had a few where the backup was password protected so there was "no way" to change the failsafe bios into not being able to boot too. there was really a way around it, it wasnt hard but i cant remember what it was.
something to keep in mind, maybe this has dual bios aswell and is on the backup/failsafe?

anyway some food for thought, i need to go yell at the kids in the neighborhood to get off my lawn now

Back